Good guitar.

As you live in Michigan I'll take it you mean dollars. ESP LTD? Godin? Jackson? THese are all good makes make it completely depends what type of quitar you want, and what you like.

Silverhaze said:
If you can, go to a guitar shop and play everything you can. That's the only true way to find the guitar that's right for you. For a grand, you have quite a few options. As for my pick, my Les Paul Studio Plus is king.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/dirtclod/Guitars.html[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Play alot of guitars and do so on one type of amp that you are familiar with. A JSM 800 can make a Squier Strat sound great so keep that in mind. Not everyone has the same taste.

Dead Eternity said:
Use custom RG's or Vigier, Caparison if you got the money.

Trust Ibanez, great guitars, the best musicians out there play them (incl. Vai, Satriani, Gilbert etc.).
So do Korn and 3000000 other crap bands tho. People should decide themselves what they like. Not what they are told to like.

If i had a 1k to spend on any guitar, i would get a U.S. made B.C. rich with Dimazio active boost pick ups.
I think B.C. rich makes the best high end guitars for the best price.

That they do. their regular line has gone to shit once again. The only difference now between Platinum and NJ series is inlays and bridge options. SOME guitars have a volume switch for each pickup.
I really would like to get a Custom Beast.

Sorrowful Night V said:
I know that you people are probably sick and tired of questions like this. But, I have a good thousand to spend on a new guitar and I am wondering what would be the best to get.

Thanks to anyone who answers.

As silverhaze mentioned, the best thing to do would be to play any and every kind of guitar you can get your hands on in the store. Unless you have one tailor-made (so to speak) specially for your hands, the next best thing would be to try 'em all out yourself and decide which one feels and sounds the best. In the end, it's all up to you.

Check out Carvin. You pick the wood, color, hardware, electronics etc. etc. and they build it for you and send it off. You get 10 days to make sure its what you wanted. I got a DC747c (7 string) black quilted maple with Koa, floyd rose and sperzels...for a grand. Most bang for the buck. Puts my RG7620 to shame.

I have a fender strat with a seymour duncan invader in the bridge which came to less $1000 and its an amazing guitar for metal and other styles. i also have an ibanez Rg570ex ($600-$800) and that would be a good guitar to buy but seeing as you have $1000 i recommend a jackson because highest end ibanez are more expensive and high end jacksons are cheaper and better (from what ive heard). Also iv heard great things about washburn guitars. goto www.music123.com to check out all the guitars

Hmm I'm liking that 7 string Carvin (the one Macalpine plays?). Anyway just a question, I've only ever seen 7 strings with saddles and string thru body. Although there's an option to get floyd rose on them, which is what I want, is this good or bad for a 7-string?

serenesorrow said:
Hmm I'm liking that 7 string Carvin (the one Macalpine plays?). Anyway just a question, I've only ever seen 7 strings with saddles and string thru body. Although there's an option to get floyd rose on them, which is what I want, is this good or bad for a 7-string?

I have basically the same model of guitar as Macalpine(I have the DC727, he plays the DC747 I think), and it has a floyd rose style bridge on it. Works perfectly fine.

First off, there are some kickass av's here (The Cheat and Garret in particular).

Anyway, I say for a grand I'd go with either a Jackson or Ibanez for brands. As for specifics, I'm partial to Ibanez RG's and S series'. Jacksons I've had little experience in playing, but I'm yet to play one I don't like for the price. So just go out and experiment till you find what feels right and still sounds great.