Good interview on letting people know where ZH stands.

ZHJ&T

Dec 7, 2002
www.zerohourweb.com
I have quite a few people ask about Zero Hour and I think I answered it the best in this interview.

CYNTHESIS- Metal Pulse Interview-2011

1) Congrats on the long awaited return, What was the reason for Cynthesis? Why not Zero Hour as it has it's original singer?

Jasun: It all came together as a fresh start in the creating process. Once I knew Troy was going to have the ulnar nerve submuscular transposition surgery, I knew the writing and recording process would be very different. This pushed me in the direction of building my own recording studio. I was now going to be the person who writes all the music and creating the material while tracking it at my house. ZH would be Troy and I coming up with material in the rehearsal room. So this was a very different process which creates a different sound, outlook and band.

2) I have to admit being a Zero Hour fan the music was all starting to sound the same so Cynthesis was in my opinion as well needed change. Did you feel the same?

Jasun: I'm very happy with the change and I felt it was much needed. The material runs very deep for me as the music was very therapeutic.

3) Tell us the birth of Cynthesis. Was this going to be a ZH album but because "DeEvolution" has a more laid back melodic approach you felt this project needed it's own identity?

Jasun: When my recording studio was up and running I wrote a couple instrumental tracks. This helped me out greatly as I didn't want to start writing the Cynthesis material until I had a good understanding of the (recording) system. I know I wanted the material to be very melodic and spacey. Almost letting the tones of the notes and chords transcend the material. Creating tones and sounds that would inspire me to grow the material to its fullest. I remember after writing the first 3 jams of music I wanted Erik's voice over the material. This material was made for Erik. We made the call and he said yes immediately to being the singer of Cynthesis. When I asked Troy "Who would you want to play drums over this? Without any hesistation Troy said "Sean Flanegan is the guy". I think we both knew right away even before I started the writing process that Sean would be the guy. I'm such a fan of his playing. He has such amazing soul and feel to his playing. There would be places I'd tell him to go a head and open it up. He knows the language and has all the goods you could ever want in a drummer. The recording process was so different than what we've done in the past. First it was click tracks, guitars and keys. Vocals, drums then bass. Troy would just listen to everything and never picked up the bass to practice. He was just listening and listening as his arms were very weak. One day he called me and said can we track it up tonight and I said sure. Basically what you hear (Bass) is all pretty much one take. I don't know how Troy does it.

4) How was it working with Erik Rosvold again?

Jasun: I told Erik not that long ago that he's one of my all-time favorite singers. Erik laughed but I truly mean't it. I'm so very jazzed to be working with Erik again.

5) Going forward will Cynthesis be the main priority here or is ZH with Chris Salinas just on hold OR gone?

Jasun: Cynthesis is the priority. When writing the music for DeEvolution I kept moving forward writing all of the music for ReEvolution as well. All the music was written for both DeEvolution and ReEvolution in 2008/2009. As for Chris Salinas I nothing but great things to say about Chris.

6) Why the parting of ways with long time drummer Mike Guy?

Jasun: Mikey, Troy and I have an insane instrumental band called Abnormal Thought Patterns. The tracking process for that disc is complete. Mikey is a MONSTER and a brother to Troy and I. http://www.facebook.com/mr.e.the.dru...60108597365964

7) What does the future hold in tour support of Cynthesis "DeEvolution"?

Jasun: Troy is still recovering and is in no shape to tour.

8) If ZH returns with a new album what can we expect musically?

Jasun: There's no signs at this time going back to Zero Hour so I have no idea. Our focus is elsewhere at this time.

9) Would you agree that even the die hard ZH fans will be open minded to Cynthesis and overdue (in my opinion) musical direction?

Jasun: Cynthesis has received a very positive response from Zero Hour fans. Here's a link to check out the song "Incision" from Cynthesis - DeEvolution.

10) Looking ahead, Can we expect another Cynthesis album? And if so, musically, are there any other styles you would like to incorporate into your writing that has never been done on any of your albums?

Jasun: Yes all the guitars, keys and drums have been tracked for Cynthesis "ReEvolution".

11) Was Chris Salinas insulted to take the back seat to Erik? How did that go down?

Jasun: Chris is an amazing singer and person. Again I will have nothing but great things to say about Chris. He made me laugh many times when I wasn't up to laughing. I have nothing but love for Chris and his family. He told me he checked out the Incision (rough-mix) track on myspace and thought Erik sounded amazing. Both Erik and Chris have great respect for each other as singers. I know Chris will have some announcements soon that people will be excited about.

12) Lastly, We at The Metal Pulse are happy for the return and are very positive and excited about Cynthesis and the future. The album is amazing and everything we could have hoped for. Please take the stage now and have the last word to the fans and supporters of you over the years........

Jasun: Just want to thank everyone who supports us. We have a couple pages for Cynthesis. http://www.facebook.com/mr.e.the.dru...51408508214843
http://www.myspace.com/cynthesisband http://www.reverbnation.com/erikrosvold#!/cynthesis

Jasun, this is Rob Wilson from Brian's Books. Steve and I were wondering how you guys were doing. Sorry to hear about Troys arm, is it related to his previous arm problem? I look forward to hearing your latest album and wish Troy my best in his recovery.