Good songs gone bad!@!1111

The Glass Prison is good, but way overrated. It's not one of their best songs. The scratching is the sound of cymbals in reverse playback. I think the instrumental section is way over-indulgent and there's too much shredding! I hate what Jordan Rudess has done to the band. Kevin Moore used to play so well with John Petrucci, now it's a case of who can show off more.

About "The Eyes of Medusa", the midesection is one of the main reasons why it's my favourite SyX song. It's beautiful and makes the song much more than just a "Symphony X standard".

@kate bush.... i can hardly think of a standard style symx song. i mean, that's the thing about symX that has so much appeal is their songs are all pretty unique from each other. Is it just the fact that there is a lot of verse chrorus verse chorus solo chorus stuff going on? I just don't understand where that comes from.

theodyssey said:
Light of day, day of darkness. The soprano/sax part in the middle just kills the killer flow of the song... for about 6 minutes. but the rest of the song is killer and the first part is godly, so it doesn't RUIN it... just breaks up the flow.

Totally agree, I usually just fast forward it, but otherwise in my top ten albums of ALL time.

Wait, I just thought of how Rhapsody could redeem themselves. They should get Byron from Bal-Sagoth to the the narrations instead of that moron they have now. Then the narrations would be cool.

Queensrÿche's "En Force". Great song, but the acoustic ending blows. Geoff Tate is one of my favorite metal singers, and I was really dissapointed when I heard his voice in the end of that song. It sounded like he was parodying someone!

joeshabadoo said:
i hate to perpetuate the dream theater thread we've got goin here in the symph x forum, but with regard to the 42 min 6DOIT track (dsc 2), it has grown on me and Im starting to enjoy it with the exception of goodnight kiss and the beginning of solitary shell, which are both heavily LaBrie influenced tracks in terms of song writing, uh god, dont let him near the brilliant song writing process that myung, petrucci and ruddess got goin. So yeah, 6DOIT, good song. . . .GONE BAD in middle.
Labrie isn't involved in the writing of DT's music. Musically, 6 Degrees was completely written before James ever heard it.

Gargoyles: Angels of Darkness by Rhapsody. The song is really cool up until that horrible narrator comes in and just kills everything.
I admit that when the narrator comes in the whole song just biffs it and comes to a screeching halt, but they needed the narrator to end their whole storyline, so it had to be done. I think it has kind of a cool effect.

Glass Prison: The numetal section. *shudder* And yeah, the scratches are done on a keyboard - I saw Jordan do it from like 10 feet away live. I must say the backwards cymbals in that part sound pretty damn cool.

Eyes of Medusa: The way the classical interlude seems out of place is the POINT. :) I love it.

Ok, here I go: the new Royal Hunt album, called Eyewitness. The song that gives its name to the album is awesome, and it gets better and better till... an horrible sound of a vinyl disc being scratched cuts the song suddenly!!! :yell:

Regarding Jordan Rudess vs. Kevin Moore, they both contributed to the two wonderful masterpieces Dream Theater did: Images and Words with Moore and Metropolis Part II with Rudess. I also love some of the Rudess' solo albums, and Moore solo career is not what I expected...

|ngenius.

Iron Maiden - Dream of Mirrors, Gargoyles: Angels of Darkness narrator, The Glass Prison, shades of grey.

The Eyes of Medusa interlude is the BEST! a very good one...

I had to go back and find this thread, cause I just thought of a song that drives me apes*** when it gets to the end. "Never Understand" on Angra's "Angel's Cry" CD where they get guest guitarists to throw in sloppy solos to end a great song. I hate that.

Now I expect Yngvai X to reply and say "WTF, that's awesome!" :lol: Bring it on, Matt !!!

Pharoah said:
I had to go back and find this thread, cause I just thought of a song that drives me apes*** when it gets to the end. "Never Understand" on Angra's "Angel's Cry" CD where they get guest guitarists to throw in sloppy solos to end a great song. I hate that.

Now I expect Yngvai X to reply and say "WTF, that's awesome!" :lol: Bring it on, Matt !!!

Like when Pantera gets Kerry King to guest solo at the end of War Nerve...like you can't do harmonics and squeals and whammy dives on your own?!!! stupid.

only one i can really think of right now.. after going through every band i can think of that i like.. is Pharaoh...starts off great, cool and heavy..then goes into that slinky egyptian thing,..then russell comes in, thats all good..then..in it comes.."pharaohs curse upon you..." and im like... oh god i hate that chorus!!.. sorry guys i been trying to think of another band another song.. i just cant right now.