Good vs. Bad Compressors

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
Hey all,

I'm not sure how to phrase this question, so I'll just kind of blurt it out: What's the difference between good compressors and not-so-great ones?

I've never had the chance to work with any decent out of the box compressors or channels, so I'm not really sure what I'm missing...how subtle is the difference? Does it affect low end more or high end? etc...just curious, thanks!

:headbang:

I'm taking a wild guess, that a lot of it is how it colors the sound as well as how it compresses things, but I'm a noob, so yeah, just a guess :)

Having worked with both worlds like 3630 and Distressor, and a bit with a SSL, a nicer comp will maintain more HF, and you can really abuse it, it will sound good nonetheless... in your face with no unwanted artifacts. But, with the price tag, if I had to buy one I would problably get the RNC.

If anyone ever worked with a LA3A or the 2A, chime in, wanna know how it sounds, never had the chance.

Having worked with both worlds like 3630 and Distressor, and a bit with a SSL, a nicer comp will maintain more HF, and you can really abuse it, it will sound good nonetheless... in your face with no unwanted artifacts. But, with the price tag, if I had to buy one I would problably get the RNC.

If anyone ever worked with a LA3A or the 2A, chime in, wanna know how it sounds, never had the chance.
I haven't worked with the two you asked but the UA 1176 is the simplest compressor to get awesome vocal tracks that I've ever used. It's got this really nice warm coloration. It's actually not uncommon to run through one with the compression bypassed just to color a track. I absolutely want to own one but I'll have to settle for using them away from home for a while.

I'd say program dependecies, non linearies, transfer curves, detection type.
Imho, added color is just icing on cake.
I think there are very few software compressors capable of making things bigger ,smooth and natural. Most of them make things sound smaller.
-That's why I still use the good old Waves RenComp over any native software compressor (I think ARC is genius and detection is unique). -
I have little experience with hi-end hardware compressors but it tend to confirm my views.
In the meantime, I'm just drooling thinking about UAD stuffs.