Goodbye firepod

~BURNY~

Apr 20, 2005
Shit happens.
One of my two firepods died last night probably because of a power surge.
I must say that I was a happy user and never had issues with it.
I was about to jump happily on the UAD bandwagon but now I have to postpone that expense. Fuuuuuu™!!!:(

I need at least 16 simultaneous mic inputs, expandable to 24 in. My budget shouldn't exceed a grand (euros).

So here are the options:

1 Two more fp's.... Not very exciting, I reckon...
2 A 2626 + an octopre with adat i/o... Over hyped?
3 something else

Any suggestions?
(please no new gear syndrome, just facts, thanks)

Two of these exciting new beasts and hasslehoff them in store to get the pair for 1k. Alternatively go here http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...t-2-firepods-hp-4-power-conditioner-rack.html and procure 2 firepods for $600 and get a power conditioner thrown in to save you from this problem next time :D Theres also a Presonus HP4 Headphone Amp and maybe a SKB 4 space Roto rack case in that deal I think. This way you wont burny your boats on the UAD front :p

liquid_saffire_56.jpg

Well i could go for the saffire 56 + 1 octopre for about a grand...
But the preamp emulation thingy put me off a bit...

Oh and lolzgreg is located in the US. I would need a 110v to 220v converter not to mention overseas shipping service plus import taxes...

Well i could go for the saffire 56 + 1 octopre for about a grand...
But the preamp emulation thingy put me off a bit...

Oh and lolzgreg is located in the US. I would need a 110v to 220v converter not to mention overseas shipping service plus import taxes...

Hmm thats a slight spanner in the works then dude. Can you not use a regular EU kettle lead and get the postage marked down so you get no duty? Obviously would have to be wrapped to hell & back though, as the insurance would only cover the amount declared. Also these shipping companys never seem to pay out anyway if something bad goes down so I gave up and decided to fuck the tax system up instead as my revenge for other things on the UK government.

This got me thinking a lot.
I want to move on.
I don't wan't to buy used stuff.

So far, I think the 2626 is hard to beat. PTm compatiblity is appealing enough, internal mixing capabilities looks great. Owners seems reasonably happy overall.

On the other hand, I can't decide which additionnal octuple adat pre I should get.

Octopre w/digital I/O:

Pros:
-Cheap
-Lasse says the pres sound great (don't know his opinion about the ADC)
-Nice features (lo cut/pad/Loz...)
-WC I/O, Adat I/O

Cons:
-Mixed reviews all over the place
-Old (meaning possibly outdated ADC)
-Only one general 48v switch (not good for my triggers or ribbons)
-Fugly cheap amateur looking
-Rear XLR connectors
-Not so great specs judging by numbers

Digimax D8:

Pros:
-Cheap
-Same preamp specs as the firepod (at least I know them, they're ok)
-No external PSU
-Great looking
-Four 48v swithes

Cons:
-No Adat in/No WC out
(It's either WC slave or Adat master, could be a problem for future expandability options)
-No line inputs (no big deal but still...)
-Rear XLR connectors

Digimax FS:

Pros:
-Full WC I/O, Adat I/O
-Smux capabilities (not that I really care...)
-Front XLR connectors
-Inserts
-Looks ok
-Two 48v switches

Cons:
-More expensive
-Combo connectors (more fragile ime, same goes for the 2626 btw)
-Pre specs seems slightly inferior to the D8 afaict (odd)

Old octane:
Meh...

Help..............:loco:

Lasse was talking about the Octopre LE, although he omitted the 'LE' in the beginning, as far as I can remember. It has no pads, which might be a problem.

Fuck it.

I just ordered two new fp10 units.
I know they will run flawlessly on both my deckstop and laptop with a 2ms latency.
I know they sound just fine.
I can now record 24 tracks simultaneously. Yipeee...

Hello firepod.

Fuck it.

I just ordered two new fp10 units.
I know they will run flawlessly on both my deckstop and laptop with a 2ms latency.
I know they sound just fine.
I can now record 24 tracks simultaneously. Yipeee...

Hello firepod.

Why wouldn't have you bought them from me? Power supply?

Why wouldn't have you bought them from me? Power supply?

Yes partly because of that but also because I didn't feel like buying used recording interfaces. This is a big investement for me. I can not afford to take any risks with it.

But... Guess what...:loco:

I cancelled my order and bought a 2626 instead.
I will wait until I am sure everything is cool with it, then order additional pres later this month.
I hope I took the right decision.

FWIW, presonus will fix any firepod regardless of warranty or what's wrong for a flat rate of $80 (in the states, anyway). I had mine fixed twice. Customer support was totally awesome, I got prompt personal e-mail replies from actual guys working on the thing.

did you try swapping the fuse out? that really might be all that was wrong with it. i just did it today on one of mine that wouldn't turn on. took the fuse out of a good one, popped it in, now it works! oddly enough though, i put the fuse from the one that didn't turn on into the other one, which also ended up powering up, so i'm kinda confused.
either way you should still try it, it would definitely save you a bunch of money if that was the only issue.

Fuse isn't the problem. It's just that the clock won't sync no matter what I do.
The light remain blue as if everything is ok, but my computer doesn't detect it anymore. Beleive me I tried everything.
It's dead and I'm not interested in fixing it at the moment.

Anyway, my 2626 should be here tomorrow.

Ok.
Sounds good... Better than the FP... Fuck... Could be the placebo effect tho... Good... Feck... Arse...