Goofy Masks, Makeup and Costumes

TravestyOfMan

What year is this?!?
Sep 22, 2001
Australia
Here's a theory: bands that are lacking in the musical talent department often employ the silly masks, makeup and costumes technique in order to draw attention away from the fact that they play crap music. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule. Any thoughts?

For some black/ gothic metal acts, I can understand that it's "their thing", all part of the act so to speak, but if the music is shit then they end up looking pretty stupid. Done subtly though I think it can be very cool. The whole dark and moody thing I mean. As much as musical quality is important, the whole mood and feeling that the band projects is definitely a factor in how the music affects you, even with a band like Opeth.

I've always been thankful that a band as great as Opeth never resorted to the stupid masks and makeup routine though. ;)

mamimumemo

VR002.jpg

the japanese take it to extremes

malicemizer.jpg

In my experience, two areas of this:

(1) There actually ARE people behind the masks, and it's used to amplify 'the live experience'.

(2) There are people who take it 'seriously' and the mask is who they are.

Depends on how it's done . just some of the ones I like are Immortal and Slipknot .. I don't enjoy slipknot's music that much but I enjoy the masks ...

You can't imagine Opeth wearing mask's and shit like that . but if they did I'm sure they would be the same .. just different looks .. doesn't change the band .

Kiss - their music wasn't any different on either side of the masks, nor did my feeling on their music being mediocre at best

King Diamond - if you're OK with his voice (which I am), then the paint job is meaningless

Dimmu Borgir - just saw them last night - other than the white faces along with the dark look - it added to the phenominal (yeah, I said it, phenominal) musical experience of their live show

But truely - bands like Gwar use the stage for the "show" - it isn't all about the music. So to me, it goes without saying that the more "masks" on the band, it means they are more artisitically diversified, probably looking outside of the music for their fans.