Google must turn over user histories to Viacom

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
EDIT: By 'histories', I mean YouTube histories. Sorry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/07/03/dlgoogle203.xml

Yes, according to the U.S. District Court for Southern New York. Judge Louis Stanton on Wednesday ruled that Google must provide Viacom with YouTube user histories in Viacom's ongoing $1 billion copyright infringement lawsuit against the video Web site.

Google must hand over all the information contained in its logging database, including the login ID of the users who have watched videos, the time they started to watch the video, users' IP address, and the video identifier.

America FUCK YEAH!

I've viewed an Exodus music vid a few times and the SNL Celebrity Jeopardy skits before they were removed.

I don't use youtube on a regular basis, nor do I log in on a regular basis, so I'm probably okay

The entire data would be over several GB's, and Google should want to settle this out of court, because they wouldnt want to surrender the privacy of their registered users and get in even deeper shit.

Honestly, who actually watches legal content on youtube though? I agree with Viacom that Youtube is mainly powered by illegal stuff, but this is still rather lame. I don't see why they need the viewer information when they discovered hundreds of thousands of illegal videos and they have the view count to show how integral they are. Furthermore couldn't statistics just be provided or some sort of anonymity for the youtube users? this is lame.

I guess viacom still hasn't got used to the laws of the internet!
Not that i support it completely but hey, they still make their billion if this goes through :p
All this, in the end means nothing to me. I use Youtube only to check out songs of obscure/lesser known bands before buying an album.(MySpace most of the time has only the latest material) Some of it might not be legal but the last thing these bands would care about is their material being on youtube.(even if they did, they can only request google to remove it)

EDIT: Also, wouldn't it actually be BETTER for viacom if others watch their videos on youtube? I'm sure 95% of the ppl don't use any of those youtube video-capture thingies and surely many would end up checking out viacom's website if they liked it. Seems like they are trying to benefit from both over here.(the lawsuit as well as the free advertisement :p)
All in all, this argument might be flawed somewhere though. I might have missed out on something >.<