Got a new cab....to go with my cut up 5150 combo. Clip

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
So i got my Avatar Vintage 4x12- V-30s today.
As some have seen i converted my 5150 combo into a head the other day.

Anyways, here is a clip testing out the cab and head.
Sm57 right on the edge of the cone.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=852198&songID=7480846

Pic.
DSCN3036.jpg

Eek, those string sliding noises are killing me :lol: But sounds good dude, though could use a bit more body IMO!

Yeah, sounds a bit hollow, maybe could use a tad less gain too. Not bad at all if this is one of the first clips you've made with it.

:OMG:

Nice!

I'm in the process of getting a 2x12 vintage avatar for my 5150 combo...

And debating whether I should cut up my combo like you did or simply sell it for a 5150 head.

Since you have some background... what made you decide to go with the vintage cab over, say, a contemporary? I'm going for the vintage cause its the only avatar I can find used:loco:

And if you have any experience, is there any benefits to using the combo over the head or vice versa? The head has more watts... but with the combo you can drive the power tubes harder at lower volumes.

:OMG:

Nice!

I'm in the process of getting a 2x12 vintage avatar for my 5150 combo...

And debating whether I should cut up my combo like you did or simply sell it for a 5150 head.

Since you have some background... what made you decide to go with the vintage cab over, say, a contemporary? I'm going for the vintage cause its the only avatar I can find used:loco:

And if you have any experience, is there any benefits to using the combo over the head or vice versa? The head has more watts... but with the combo you can drive the power tubes harder at lower volumes.

I really did the cut up as an impulse thing.....you dont need to cut it up to use it as a head. You can just unplug the internal 1/4 plug that the combo speakers are hooked to and plug the external cab into the external jack on the back. The external jack used alone is 8ohms.

I went for the vintage cab cause it was cheaper then the contemp...lol And i didnt like the trad cabs look. I asked the guys at avatar and he said the vintage has more low end then the contemp does. He said besides looks thats really the only diff.

Ive also heard the combo has better cleans then the heads do, cause its biased alittle different. I like my combo head and cab now that im getting good tones! :)

If you decide to cut it up, PM me. I have a PDF that walks you through the whole process. Its what i used to do it. Its really very simple.