My first attempt at micing up a 5150 (fail?)

ForefrontStudio

Micah Amstutz
Jan 1, 2009
NE Ohio
5150 into a Mesa 4x12 recto TRIPLE miced with a 57 on axis, an i5 off axis, and a 57 off axis most of what you hear is the i5. just added low pass and high pass filters and multiband comp. tell me what you think. any suggestions for improvement? I apologize in advance for the sloppy guitaring... just threw it together real quick...

clip can be found here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=971290&songID=8137088

also made a clip with the 5150 + impulses here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=971290&songID=8110015

TBH i like the one with impulses better.Not that the mic is bad sounding.It's just a bit ''blur'' if you know what i mean.Try moving the mic a little.
Tone rules in both:headbang:

Impulse one is a million times better, sounds really muffled though. Bit woofy too maybez D:

TBH i like the one with impulses better.Not that the mic is bad sounding.It's just a bit ''blur'' if you know what i mean.Try moving the mic a little.
Tone rules in both:headbang:
Thanks man. I should add that the miced clip is dual tracked, and the one with impulses is quad tracked. the miced clip only has a low and high pass filter and multiband comp, the impulse clip has the crap EQed out of it.

Impulse one is a million times better, sounds really muffled though. Bit woofy too maybez D:

I have a really hard time getting clear definition with impulses. they always sound like there's a pillow between the cab and the mic (or the lack there of). very little highs and definition and it sounds super muffled. the input level of the preamp out is quite low. could that have anything to do with it, or is that normal? I can I can get it hotter by bumping up the post gain, but I can't hear my monitors worth crap then. I really need to get myself a nice 20 foot speaker cable and stash the cab in another room... or make a dummy load, which would probably be the smarter choice of the two...

Record a 10 second snippet
listen
tweak
record a 10 second snippet
listen
tweak

etcetc

that way you can turn the amp up and check your results

That sound class man. I really love the tone you got too, I only wish I could get even close to that but every tone I get is either too fuzzy or too low. Yours is a nice full tone and really smooth, would you have any tips on how to get a similar sound to the one you have?

That sound class man. I really love the tone you got too, I only wish I could get even close to that but every tone I get is either too fuzzy or too low. Yours is a nice full tone and really smooth, would you have any tips on how to get a similar sound to the one you have?

Thanks man! I pretty much followed the OZ Clayman thread for the how-to. did the old "Fredman Technique". only thing I did different was I added a 3rd mic (off axis 57) so I could choose/blend/hear the difference between the off axis i5 and off axis 57

How loud did you have the amp when you recorded with the mic?

Actually, pretty quiet. I recorded a different clip a little later and high volume, and I didn't think it really helped that much with tone. If I were actually recording keeper tracks for a legit song, I would def bump up the volume though and get those power tubes cookin'. I loaned out the 5150 to a friend because his head died and he has an important showcase of some sort. can't wait to get it back and tweak some more.:D I need to get/build me a re-amp box too. that would definitely help with tweaking and comparing results.