Got my M-Audio BX8a monitors today!

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
Some of you know that I recently sold my old monitors (Event PS8) and ordered a pair of new M-Audio BX8a's. Well, just hooked them up today and here are my first impressions...
  1. I never noticed the speaking underneath the verses on Porcupine Tree's "Blackest Eyes" before. I've listened to the In Absentia album approximately 500 times in the last 2 years and never noticed it before I got these speakers! Crazy...
  2. I'm hearing all kinds of things I was missing in Arch Enemy, Opeth, Led Zeppelin, the list goes on...
  3. The bass response is amazing and very focused sounding. No thumpy dumbass hip hop rumble here, this is precision and very revealing, without overpowering the tweeters at all!
  4. They sound equally great soft, loud, and in between
  5. The high end is very clear, precise, and exciting to listen to without being fatiguing.
This is the most massive upgrade I've made to my studio ever, not in terms of cost, but in terms of my overall satisfaction. I honestly believe my mixes are going to improve a lot. These speakers already make me want to remix my band's album for the 3rd time. :loco:

I got the same pair as my first set of monitors. Thought they were really good. Then I got a pair of JBL LSR series .... :kickass: It just gets better and better with each upgrade

BX8a. They have actually been out for a little while now. Decent upgrade over the BX series, but it was cool to see them keep it in the same price range. But yes, the LSR series are great. Pretty much got it for 1/2 off for a pair of 8". I'm debating on getting a sub though.

yeah I know what you mean about hearing stuff your couldn't before.....

since upgrading from my logitech computer speakers to Behringer 2031a's I was blown away by how much I was missing. I can't imagine how much more $500+ monitors would catch.

but i definately want a sub now.

....hmmm does Andy mix with a sub ???

Kazrog - Congrats on the purchase. Is this your first set of moniters? I recall my first set and having the same feeling.

Yeah...the BX8a monitors are great for that price. I use mine almost every day for mixing or just tooling around. Glad you're happy with them.

I love my BX8's..... A little iffy on the highs, but otherwise they are great! I couldn't hear that much of a difference between them and the a's, just a little less high end...