KRK RP8 v/s M-AUDIO BX8A - already did a search :-)

chaosmonger

Sep 16, 2006
Santiago, Chile
www.poemaarcanus.cl
Ok, ok, ok guys, I know there are a bunch of monitor threads already, and judged by those, I have narrowed my options to these two, but I still cannot decide on which ones to get. KRK RP8 v/s M-Audio BX8a's

They are both quite close price-wise (being the KRK's a bit cheaper), but that's not a deciding factor right now.

I need some honest feedback, specially from those who have owned both, because in my case they are in different stores / different listening environments, hence I cannot trust my ears that much when comparing ... if they were at the same store I wouldn't be asking such a annoying question, and I'd just follow the old "try them both and choose the ones you like more" :p

And YES, I'll be treating my room also! :lol:

My first choice were HS80M's, but they are nowhere available here until late July (with some luck-shitty dealer) and a really need some real monitors NOW (we'll be recording our album very soon). Probably I'll be selling them after some time to get the yammys, then a good "2nd choice" monitors is what I need now.

Thanksalot!!!

I've heard way more good things about the BX8A's (especially now that the new deluxes are out) compared with the RP8's

I just picked up a pair of BX8as at Guitar Center about a week ago for $250+tax brand new. If you can find the original ones they are discontinuing them to make way for the new Deluxes. I'm more than happy with the BX8as and the first track on my MySpace was mixed with them. It was a lot easier to mix with these than what I was using before, and I use to love the RP8s, but after A/B'ing those and the BX8as I decided the M-Audio pair were better overall. Plus they were cheaper :)

At the last studio I worked at we had a pair of RP8s, as well as some Mackie HR824s. From that experience, I would have to say that the BX8as are the best out of all three pairs.

~006

as previous owner of the bx8a's, i really liked them, once they were setup properly with acoustic treatment they do a great job, but if you use them in a small untreated room, you will have some troubles.

i originally had $1000 for monitors, i was going to spend all of it on a good setup, but i end up going with lowerend monitors(the bx8a) and split $500 for the bx8a and $500 on acoustic treatment(diy rockwool panels) and it turned out better than i expected.

so overall for the price they are quite good and usable, provided you have them setup properly w/ acoustic treatment.