got myself a new amp - genz benz el diablo

futurism

Sep 17, 2006
lostforever.org
I got the 100 watt el diablo head and matching 4x12 cab.

probably not the most popular choice around this forum, but I like things a bit different.

Havent had a chance to record it yet, and when I do it will be the first time I have recorded a tube amp, for the past 10 years since my band ended I have been recording direct, so should be in for fun times.

Ive got an sm57 but only the preamps in my mixer for now....might have to wait for next month to get a preamp, or more likely the presonus firebox, that will replace my mixer and current soundcard (echo gina). I only use my mixer now as a post volume control, and the firebox has a hardware volume knob on the main outs, a great idea for my situation.

Anyways enough ranting heres some pics

genzbenz1.jpg

genzbenz2.jpg

genzbenz3.jpg

ive came across two of those setups by two different guitarists.....

Never like the sound! Wayyy fizzy. Kinda sounded like an Ibanez Fuzz pedal with alot of treble.:Smug:

I wonder what that cab would sound like with a kickass amp like a 5150, Engl, or a Rect.:Smokin:

"Check out the Genzy bro"

- what I was told by a music store employee before trying (and disliking) the combo version of this amp. Maybe with the right guitar and a tube screamer you could work some magic though...

Ive heard great things about the cabs...

But I had the chance to dick around with a Diablo once for about an hour through a Schecter...

I couldnt dial in a single workable tone... unless you're playing "hard rock", I guess.

That said, good luck

yeah, the pics are taken in the dark with a camera on a tripod, so a long exposure time
the 2nd pic is taken with a flash with the light on, hence no close encounters of the third kind vibe
I hate flash photography, but the room I had the amp in is always dark, and digital cameras are really crappy in low light situations without a flash or a tripod

I have been messing about with the amp, I havent had much time as I fly to work each week and come home on the weekends (typing this a long way from home)

heres the latest clip I made, unfortunately my girlfriend came home just as I was finding the sweet spot with the mic after messing about with cables and dialing in a tone, so I had no time to double and its just a few 5th chords playing crap, I will make a better clip or whole song this weekend (taking monday off work)
http://www.r4d.org/stuff/genzbenz5.mp3