Genz Benz G flex 212 cab

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Hello. I just got approved for a musicians friend platinum card with a 700 dollar limit. I want to buy a 212 cab for my mesa F50 amp. They don't sell mesa for some reason so I was thinking about getting the genz benz g flex. It's supposed to be huge sounding and from the reviews i've read, it seems pretty cool. Do you think this would be a good decision? How about a marshall 1936 212? Any other suggestions?

Hmm, huge sounding perhaps on account of that porting, but probably at the cost of tightness and response. If $700 at MF is your cap, then I'd suggest this bad boy when it becomes available: closed-back, good wood, and V30s

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...120W-2x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=601079

Of course, if money and MF weren't an issue, I would recommend the Bogner 2x12 oversized all the way...but I'm sure the Randall kicks ass as well

hmm how about Randall MTS Series R212NXT 160W 2x12 Guitar Extension Cabinet. It's 599 and available now. It also how a removable panel to make it 1/3 open back. It has custom celestion neodymium speakers. Don't know about them. I could get v30s down the line though or swap out my celesion c90 speaker in my f50 combo. Still looking at the genz benz though. Maybe anyone else has something to say about them?

well I went ahead and ordered it. I'll have to buy a v30 to try with it as well to see if it sounds better than tht stock speakers.

wow great to hear. I ordered the 212 on sunday. I can't wait to get it. How are the stock speakers? I hear they are based on v30's but with 70 watts and not as much treble. How are the ports? Can they be closed? That would be a cool idea deal with ports that can be opened and closed. Thanks for the responses everyone.

I find the stock speakers to be pretty much spot on. Obviously a lot depends on the room but the cab has got great projection and sounds quite consistant where ever you put it. The only thing I will say is that you do have to watch the bass on your amp. When I run my Marshall Master Volume into it I have the bass on 0.

It might be worth investing in an EQ pedal.

Just so you know I have the gflex 212 and it sounds absolutely huge and is super tight. You'd figure with the porting it'd be boomy, but the bottom end always stays together.

Also the speakers in it were designed after a v30. Originally Lynch had v30's in there but the cone were ripping under enormous strain, so essentially they are v30's with stronger paper, epoxy, etc.

You'll really enjoy it.

:kickass: Can't wait till I get it. I ordered it on Sunday. Hopefully i'll get it by next week. Musicians friend apparantly are moving their warehouse so orders are taking longer to ship. It said it should be shipped by the 14th although I ordered speaker cables two days after I ordered the cab and they already shipped yet my cab is still "being packed". Either way i'm exited :) and can't wait to record with it. Seems like it'll be a big improvement for metal sounds over my semi open back 112 cab with celestion c90's on my f50 combo amp.

Question. Can the ports be closed and opened? Or do they just stay open? If they stay open, heard of anyone closing some or all of them? I thought I read that somebody on this board has one with two ports closed. That's why i'm asking.

holy necrobump! I still own the cab and was wondering if anyone's views have changed on them or if any new people have tried them. I plan on getting a Laney Ironheart Studio soon. I sold the Mesa F50 and currently do not own an amp other than a Peavey Bandit (swedish death metal!!!). I still like the cab. I have not really tried it with any other cabs though. It does seem to be a little on the dark side. It's a bit open sounding but still tight and really punchy. Punchy is probably what I would say describes it best. Down the road I would like to swap a speaker out for a v30 and see what happens.

Another necrobump as you call it.

I have had this cab for a couple of years. I am not a V30 fan. I put Celestion G12K-100 speakers in it and it kicks ass. I was running a Rocktron Velocity 300 (newer 1U version) through it but I recently acquired a Mesa 2:90. The Mesa really shows off this cab with these speakers.

I used to own a Marshall EL34 100/100 with two 1960B cabs. I had to sell a lot of stuff during hard times. When I started to rebuild I wanted a more portable system. Good thing because I ended up in a gigging band for a while doing old classic metal (Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Metallica, etc.). I bought this cab because it could give a 4x12 a run for its money and I have not been disappointed.