New cab tone test

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Well here is one of my first attempts recording my new genz benz 212 g flex cab. My amp is a mesa F50 with a 57 and e609 fredman style. What do you think of the bass guitar as well? Is it too loud?. This is all a really quick job. I just kept the first takes. I did 4 tracks hard left right and two more 80% left and right. What do you think? Still not perfect, I think it's a bitt muffled but it's much better than my old clips. Any tips would be very appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=9160

The second one is definately better IMO. I think the tone you're probably going for (based on the playing and tone coming through) would be found in the Fredman technique, though done right :p You really have to work on the angles/ phase for it to cancel/ retain the right frequencies.

yeah I agree. I like the second better as well. The fredman technique has been working the best for me for my combo cab which is a semi open 1x12. But with this new cab i'm having a hard time getting it to sound clear. I'll have to work some more on it. My favorite tones are clayman (fredman) and wages of sin(sneap). Do you think that second tone is good or just better than the first but still crappy?

Here is the best tone I got with the combo cab on the f50. I still think this one is the best. It's more clear and in your face. There is no bass guitar in this one though.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=9163

thanks dude :kickass: I've been messing around more and i've come to realize that the sneap technique is working best for me. The fredman technique just sounds too muffled. It doesnt cut through as much.

yeah I should clarify on that. That second clip where I said sneap technique was actually two mics, a 57 and 609 each on one speaker straight on close to the edge of the dust cap. So it wasn't really the sneap technique because of the other mic The last one I posted was actually it with just one 57.

The fredman technique just sounds too muffled. It doesnt cut through as much.

It shouldn't. It should cut through but have lots of body. It really takes some work to get the angels right so that the phase is right. I've done it well and really badly before, and the difference can be just a millimetre of twist in one mic.

that's another thing though. It seems to have too much body. I dunno, i'll keep trying it.

I have tried the fredman method with 2 57's as well though. I always end up liking the ones with the 609 better.