GOTH ROCK RECOMMENDATION POWER HOUR: bay laurel "under a clouded sky"

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
not even metal. it said "goth rock" right in the title and yet you clicked it!

not even metal. more like a swedish, more streamlined, rather less talented fields of the nephilim with a certain metal edge. remember what katatonia sounded like when they went goth on that ONE song ("scarlet heavens")? this is pretty much an entire album of that. a couple of the guys also played in a death metal band and sometimes there are some screamy vocals and sometimes a heavy-ish riff but generally this is all hardcore gay action, all the time

B000026S3T.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

1. in the arms of silence
2. winter flight
3. black candles
4. bleeding tears
5. celestial signs
6. thoughts
7. in nothingness
8. the dying
9. not of that kind
10. dream forever

stereotypical gothy song titles? i have literally no idea what you are on about. i love stuff like this non-ironically. however there's like maybe two of you here that has a honest chance of liking it but since you're gonna act all openminded and try it anyway -- if you're getting just one of the songs you wanna get the first one. hail victory!

I just listened to In the Arms of Silence and it sounded competent but I was distracted and will re-listen later (if ever!)

I like when people recommend non-metal shit around here. Even when I do it, 'cause we need more threads that die with 46 views & 2 replies!

I actually like their 2nd album "Days Of Joy" much more. Both albums are great though. Apparently they have a 3rd album that came out in 2000, 2001-ish...

problem is all the albums are near-impossible to find nowadays. i was outbid on "days of joy" a month or so ago and have subsequently ordered it from a webstore that claimed to have it in stock but i think they were lying. never heard anything from that. the third one i have heard one song from on a compilation album and it was different, a lot more mellow and conventional, but very nice. this one:

i have NO IDEA what that video is on about. jesus. the song, though. nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess what "In the arms of silence" reminded me of?

Paradise Lost - Gothic, because of the guitar tone.

And the vocals reminded me of what little Sisters of mercy I've heard.

Not bad, but the drum(machine)mer plays a bit too simplistic for my taste.

Edit: And of course, Katatonia copied the guitartone of "Gothic" for "Dance of december souls".

Listening to "Days of Joy" now. Great music, good find Erik.

What's up with a song called "A lighter of sperm" ?

Erik, hit me up if you want the mp3s of the rest of their catalogue.

BY THE INEFFABLE POWER OF THE DARK LORD I SUMMON THEE NAD INTO THIS THREAD MOST ANCIENT

time to try again with this very swedish-sounding, metal-influenced (it is not metal but it is obvious where these guys came from; there are some harsh bm-style vox etc) album of generic but pretty awesome goth rock

elevator pitch: what if katatonia - "scarlet heavens" was an entire album?

they have two more albums too that we can get back to later

EDIT: lmfao i just now noticed that i wrote "remember what katatonia sounded like when they went goth on that ONE song ("scarlet heavens")? this is pretty much an entire album of that" in the OP eleven years ago, and now i wrote pretty much the same fucking thing

well i am nothing if not consistent, i'll give myself that

Reactions: NAD
“Rapidshares die, Yousendits die, all men are mortal. Hardcore gay action will never perish, nor a noble post."

Hell yeah, this is definitely my jam. That ending lead on Pale Colours is fantastic. Thanks!