Gotta choose a passive pickup

hsnyder

Harris Snyder
Dec 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Hey guys.. I know there are many threads like this, but I thought I'd just ask for advice specific to a les paul style guitar. I need to pick a passive pickup for a les paul that lends itself well to downtuning (A#), and to very thick strings (especially the lower ones).

I'm sort of thinking about the dimarzio D activators, but eh... they're dimarzios... I don't know. I know seymour duncan makes a bunch of very metal pickups but i'm concerned that some of them might be too beefy sounding for the low tuning/short scale/mahogany/thick strings, and could potentially sound like mud.

Thanks guys

Got both the D-Craptivators and Duncan Distortions, for me the Seymour Duncans shit all over the D-Activators (I regret getting them but at least now I know)

Got both the D-Craptivators and Duncan Distortions, for me the Seymour Duncans shit all over the D-Activators (I regret getting them but at least now I know)

+1. Hated the D-Activators as well as every other DiMarzio pickup I've owned, love the Duncan Distortion and JB. Either the JB or Duncan Distortion those should work for 95% of situations in metal where a passive is desired.

whoa. okay... i guess i'll try either the duncan distortions or the alt 8s :p I'll try nailbombs/BKPs in general some day... but not today...

thanks guys. case closed. :) you guys rock