Recommend me a passive bridge pickup

I should mention that I've installed passive pickups before, but when I tried installing a pair of actives in a guitar with one volume, one tone, and a three-way blade toggle (I think this is what threw it off), it...umm...didn't work. Can't get more specific than that, but I took it to a tech who did it for $25 or $30, so just take the guesswork out of it and do that!

yes well your tech charges much less. The techs around here chardge fucking 90 dollars to install two actives in a passive set up guitar.

I thought you said he'd charge $90 to do a one active/one passive thing, I was referring to just the one active and a hole in the neck until you can afford another EMG...

oh sorry i may have been confused for a sec. To install one active and disingage the neck pickup would be 70-80 bucks. Two actives would be 90 dollars. Ridiculous I know. That's why im thinking about just getting another passive and use that shadow device.

That shadow device won't make your pickup sound like an EMG 81... I don't know how it works but it doesn't make any sense to even be possible since an active pickup is a million times quieter than a passive pickup and uses an internal preamp to boost the signal...

Even though I am endorsed by them, I am not just saying this because of that.

I like Q-tuner pickups. (They are passive.) They are very similar to EMG pickups are far as tone goes.

I checked em out and damn they look cool. They seem to be what i'm looking for in a pickup. Do you have any clip comparisons? Like comparing them to an emg or a passive pickup? What is the differnce between direct mount and the other? What ones do you use? Are the high gain ones the best for metal? Or the medium output ones better? Are they coil tappable? A bit expensive but if they work well..

That shadow device won't make your pickup sound like an EMG 81... I don't know how it works but it doesn't make any sense to even be possible since an active pickup is a million times quieter than a passive pickup and uses an internal preamp to boost the signal...

True that, sounds like a gimmick...

Of course it's most probably not going to sound like an EMG 81, but why shouldn't it be possible to integrate the preamp into the cable instead of the pickup housing? I don't really see the difference.

Because it's a retarded idea when the output of a high output passive pickup is already at the same level as an EMG. It's just a gain boost at that point and accomplishes nothing. The EMGs NEED the preamp because they are designed with such low output, that's just the design of active pickups...

I like my D Activator Bridge... clear to a fault and chunky as a Tex-Mex chef. I've tuned the thing to Drop-F (with the strings I use in B, C, and C#) and couldn't lose definition with root-fifth-third monstrosities.

Jeff

Yeah I was looking at those as well. I think most of these pickups will be an upgrade from my duncan designed pickup. But damn that g tune thing looks neat. What's with the seymoure duncan site and the tone tests? Some pickup tone samples are much louder and are much more powerful sounding than other even when they have the same output. When you listen to the tone sample of the dimebucker versus say the duncan distortion, the dimebucker kicks its ass in volume and balls. I just want to know if those samples are an accurate representation of the pickups.

I run a bareknuckle nailbomb in the bridge. I can't recommend them enough!

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Because it's a retarded idea when the output of a high output passive pickup is already at the same level as an EMG. It's just a gain boost at that point and accomplishes nothing. The EMGs NEED the preamp because they are designed with such low output, that's just the design of active pickups...

Yeah of course. I just meant that, theoretically, the preamp (of an EMG or whatever active pickup) could be located outside and basically work the same.

anyone else have any recommendations or anything to add about the pickups already mentioned?

the dimarzio X2n has similar output to the emg 81

my and my freind tested both the dimarzio and the emg back to back in almost identical guitars and on the same, the results were pretty close.

hmm I was looking in to that pickup. I wish dimarzio had a sound sample page like seymour duncan does. Giving clips of song off albums doesn't really do much.

Everyone I've met or spoken to about the Dimarzio deactivators agree they have a very EMG like tone and I'm going to have to agree. If this is what you are looking for, then I would definately go for one of these. However, if it is just a chunky, tight, articulate sound you are after, arguably better and definately more natural and organic than an EMG, I can't reccomend the Bareknuckle Warpig enough. It has a much smoother sounding top end, and tonnes of low mid (but not too much for mahogany) and a really high output, without sounding overly processed and compressed. For an american, this is quite an expensive option as these are hand built English pickups, but if you can wait and save, I'd say it would be worth it.

I'm afraid I can't show you any clips that do it justice, but I'm recording some stuff for my band with a 5150 II next week, so I'll make some comparison clips between that and an EMG 707 (closest I can get to an 81). It wont be a totally accurate comparison as the Warpig is in a Mahogany Les Paul and the EMG is in my Loomis which is ash/maple but it'll give you an idea.

What's the difference between the deactivator and the deactivatorx? Also, about the bareknuckle pickups..I'm not really looking for organic. I'm looking for a compressed,processed sound. For the neck pickup i'd like something like that but not for the bridge.