grammy winner

life is so much easier when you just ignore those shows, always a day late and dollar short... sorry... decade late and award short

everyone got to pay their DUES to get'em grammy

I'm surprised that Mastadon wasn't in the running. Not one of my personal favorites, but they got a lot of attention, sold a lot of albums & got a lot of critical acclaim.

I like the Priest album, and that version of the song...but for very specific reasons that I've no doubt the Grammy people would not have the slightest clue about. That is, I like the way Priest is maturing and Rob is utilizing his voice in a good way, all things considered. Further, the album is just full of somewhat obscure tracks - nothing too flashy. It reminds me of a really modern version of The Eagle Has Landed by Saxon. That stated, the Grammy folks don't know the ins and outs of metal...and yes, weird choice. I really think they vote like this...."Oh...yeah, I've heard that name somewhere..."

Also, yes, Mastodon should have gotten at least a nomination.

What a shitload of fuck. It should have gone to new Megadeth. That was a horribly mediocre live album and that version wasn't very good.

I totally second that :mad:. But I rather have Megadeth lose over a JP bad live version than to any of the other bands nominated.

So far even Mustaine congratulated JP on MySpace for the winning :Smug:.

But again who gives a f*** for the Grammys?, it's at the same level as the MTV awards :puke:. And frankly even the Oscars have been dissapointing me lately. I'm not into those award thingies anymore
g010.gif

I totally second that :mad:. But I rather have Megadeth lose over a JP bad live version than to any of the other bands nominated.

So far even Mustaine congratulated JP on MySpace for the winning :Smug:.

But again who gives a f*** for the Grammys?, it's at the same level as the MTV awards :puke:. And frankly even the Oscars have been dissapointing me lately. I'm not into those award thingies anymore
g010.gif
I like the Oscars but stopped watching the Grammy's years ago... who else was nominated out of curiosity?

You said it all right there. I'm still sore over the Jethro Tull mess and I'm a huge fan of Tull. It's all a big joke.
I never liked Tull and thought it was a joke years ago when they won over Metallica for best metal and such... :erk:

I never liked Tull and thought it was a joke years ago when they won over Metallica for best metal and such... :erk:

The catagory was hardrock/heavy metal, poor decision that is was to give Tull credit 20 years into their career or personal taste and opinion aside that award was not strictly the property of "metal". That is what people wishing to ride that bandwagon need to understand.

The year was 1989 and these were the nominations
Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance - Vocal or Instrumental

Jethro Tull - Crest of a Knave
Metallica - And Justice For All
AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video
Iggy Pop - Cold Metal
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

many Tull people do not consider Crest to be one of their better works

And Justice for All is considered by many including Metallica to be one of the poorest recording quality production

perhaps neither band deserved a nomination to begin with in this year

had the big Metallica outcry not started over this its doubtfull they would have gotten an award the following year and would have had to wait another 10-15 years like most others in the business who are not directly involved in pop.

The following year they realized having hardrock and metal together was not going to work out

1990 and the nominations looked like this
Best Metal Performance - Vocal or Instrumental

Metallica - One
Dokken - Beast from the East
Queensryche - I Don't Believe In Love
Faith No More - The Real Thing
Soundgarden - Ultramega O.K.

Im not sure picking anything from And Justice for All over anything from Operation Mindcrime showed anything but catering to the previous years outcry. There can be no question which way I would have voted.

Judas Priest - Dissident Aggressor (live)

Classic tune for sure, but a live performance of a 30 year old song seems like a strange choice. I guess the Grammy committee can't quite figure out what to do with itself when they don't have a new Metallica album to worship.

http://www.aolradioblog.com/2010/01/31/judus-priest-wins-best-metal-performance-grammys-2010/

Hah! indeed.

on another note, Black Sabbath didn't get inducted to the rock and roll Hall of Fame until 2006.... so it doesn't suprise me it took the good folks at the Grammy's to take so long to recognize a work of art.... maybe it's just takes so long because they are so close minded it takes them a couple years to open up to something and appreciate it if it isn't the god damned Jonas Brothers or some bullshit.

all my congrats to Judas Priest. They deserve it. :headbang:

maybe i should add one more thing. I thinks that as true dedicated fans of real Heavy Metal, we understand that the outside world is generally ignorant to the Genre and how much talent all of the musicians have. It has been widely unaccepted and frowned upon ever since it began. so I am proud of Judas Priest and they do deserve it, but there are tons of other metal musicians that deserve some credit but they most likely will never get it from the outside world. so to this i say "fuck em" fuck the people at the Grammy's who have no idea what Metal is about and what it's Musicians and fans stand for.

"maybe i should add one more thing. I thinks that as true dedicated fans of real ______, we understand that the outside world is generally ignorant to the ______ and how much talent all of the ________ have. It has been widely unaccepted and frowned upon ever since it began. so I am proud of _________ and they do deserve it, but there are tons of other ________ that deserve some credit but they most likely will never get it from the outside world. so to this i say "fuck em"."

Insert your own "alienated subculture" here, kids. :lol:

The following year they realized having hardrock and metal together was not going to work out

1990 and the nominations looked like this
Best Metal Performance - Vocal or Instrumental

Metallica - One
Dokken - Beast from the East
Queensryche - I Don't Believe In Love
Faith No More - The Real Thing
Soundgarden - Ultramega O.K.

Im not sure picking anything from And Justice for All over anything from Operation Mindcrime showed anything but catering to the previous years outcry. There can be no question which way I would have voted.

Surprised that Ultramega OK was in the mix. I didn't think that Soundgarden really hit the mainstream until Badmotorfinger. Also, how doesn't make sense that it's a mix of albums and individual songs for that year.

I think I have more respect for the Grammy's then for R&R HOF :)

The year was 1989 and these were the nominations
Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance - Vocal or Instrumental

Jethro Tull - Crest of a Knave
Metallica - And Justice For All
AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video
Iggy Pop - Cold Metal
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

And Justice for All is considered by many including Metallica to be one of the poorest recording quality production

Yeah, I remember that mess like Psycho call it. I like JT but there was no way to mix them with Metallica, AC/DC, same goes for Iggy Pop. Imagine to put Slayer, King Crimson, Lou Reed on the same category :rolleyes:, that's my viewpoint.

And production aside AJFA is a good metal album and if they had 'One' off, it would have been an excelent album.

I guess the feeling we all have on this thread is the same. The people at the Grammy and such awards don't know SHIT about music, it's all business to them :Smug:

and opinion aside that award was not strictly the property of "metal". That is what people wishing to ride that bandwagon need to understand.
ah, but it pretty much is.

Correct me if I am wrong and forget about your musical opinion but isn't it pretty much a FACT that the general consensus doesn't even consider JT as either Hard rock or Metal? If so then they should never have been on that category and also if the Grammy's is more of a popularity contest then anything to do with quality then Metallica should of won just on most popular of that year with AJFA... the is a reason why JT's win is considered one of the top 10 most disappointment wins of the Grammy's history...

Never heard that. Your not making shit up again are you? lol jk Anyways I don't like the album myself but of those nominated that year AJFA did deserve the win.

There can be no question which way I would have voted.
Not that i (or others perhaps) really care. :loco:

Judas Priest "Dissident Aggressor"
Lamb of God "Set to Fail"
Megadeth "Head Crusher"
Ministry "Señor Peligro"
Slayer "Hate Worldwide"
Not great songs imo...

AH, but it pretty much is

Have no idea what you are talking about here ?

Not that i (or others perhaps) really care. :loco:

nor do I get what your going after here ?
----------------------------

The award was for hardrock/metal performance and Crest was harder edged than other more folk Tull albums. Tull was hard rock in their origions as well. The progressive terminology never came till much later, we just discussed this a bit somewhere here regarding the 80's metal. I also dont think they had a progressive catagory at that time... if they even do yet, I wouldnt know.

In fact somewhere around that time was the first they recognized either hardrock or metal so I suppose we should feel honoured... lol

Regardless the catagory was hardrock/metal and those were the nominations and Crest was chosen, not really the big deal that was made of it by those that didnt understand the catagorization and choose to use "the flute" as having any relevence. Many had been rockin out to Anderson and his flute for over 15 years prior... hell he could shred with the best of them. Maiden seemed impressed.....