Grand Magus - He Who Seeks Shall Find . . .

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
[imgleft]http://www.ultimatemetal.com/bandpics/grandmagus.jpg[/imgleft]By Nathan Pearce

One of the surprises of 2003 was the incredible surge of traditional doom related bands. At one end of the spectrum listeners were able to torture themselves with bands like Khanate and Unearthly Trance, and on the other end of the spectrum bands like Place of Skulls and The Hidden Hand pleased the slightly more sane listeners. However, 2003’s biggest surprise, at least for me, would have to be Sweden’s Grand Magus. With the release of their second album, ‘Monument’, the band seems to be coming out of the woods with swords drawn and ready for battle.

To their credit Grand Magus doesn’t exactly fit into the traditional doom sub-genre, but certain elements of their sound surely reflect back on such greats as Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and even Cathedral and The Obsessed. It’s this combination of 70’s metal/rock and good old, never-die, riff-your-ass-off, play-it-like-it-owns-you, metal that Grand Magus seems to embody better than any other band in the metal world right now.

bigpic0.gif

Mastermind/guitarist/vocalist JB took a little time to tell me exactly how his band has achieved this recent success. Grand Magus is a severely infectious band. Surely the idea all along was to enthrall every metal fan they came across. So the recent success of the band must not be that surprising.

Ha-ha! Well, it would be pretty arrogant for me to say yes, but it’s certainly enjoyable that it seems to be the case. The most important thing is of course that people get interested in hearing the music and the exposure that good press creates.

To fans of the band before the success of ‘Monument’, Grand Magus was already an amazing band. What about all the fans that are just now hearing the band? How has Grand Magus changed from the first album to the second?

I think it’s more focused and together. We had a definite vision for this album, whereas the debut was more spontaneous and “free-for-all”. Monument is also heavier and more metal in sound and delivery.

It would seem that the combination of 70’s metal/rock and more modern metal/doom would confuse some listeners as to what exactly Grand Magus is doing. What exactly are JB and the band doing when they write these songs?

The classic hard rock feel is more or less subconscious. Bands like Purple, Sabbath, Uriah Heep etc. are part of my musical upbringing, but I’m not interested in recreating that at all, it’s just an ingredient that goes into the writing. My heart lies in metal first and foremost.

bigpic4.gif

This ability to create music that appeals to such a wide range of listeners must bring in a large range of fans. 70’s rock, stoner, doom, whatever.

I would say that we are getting through to a lot more metal fans these days after ‘Monument’. I’ve never really understood the “stoner” scene anyway. I think that our music fits the tastes of people who usually listen to more brutal stuff. The combination of melody, “classic vocals”, power and brutality seems to be pretty fresh for, say, death metal fans. Since I’m really into black metal and death metal I think that we know that feel so to speak, without really playing that kind of music.

Metal fans are also famous for their embracing of mythologies and beliefs of the past. Grand Magus is similar to other Swedish bands in their love of Viking beliefs and Norse mythology. The images, lyrics, and even the website of the band is immersed in these ideas.

It is definitely an integral part of Grand Magus as a band.

It is clear that JB is the leading force behind Grand Magus, but the music displays an amazing level of sophistication in every aspect. Instruments are played with both skill and passion. Songs are carefully crafted but seem to flow freely without any restrictions.

There are no written rules but, since we are a trio, we have to agree on every part of the music. Even though I’m the captain of the ship and write all the lyrics, we work together and all arrangements and ideas are agreed upon as a unit 100%. Grand Magus would not exist or work without all three members present. We try out different ideas and juggle them between us. Fox and Trisse are my brothers and we fucking stand together through everything.

Being from the US, I have no idea what a Grand Magus live performance is like. The band hasn’t toured much outside of their immediate territory. JB fills me in on a typical live show.

Balls to the wall metal! We are going on a European tour in early summer and before that we’re doing a couple of festivals. No plans for the US at the moment, but that could change as we speak! Hail to all fans of Grand Magus in the US, we will set our sails for your shores soon. He who seeks shall find . . . .

bigpic28.gif

JB then elaborates, telling me a few of the bands they have played live with.

Here’s a list of bands we’ve played with: Cathedral, Electric Wizard, Orange Goblin, Terra Firma, Sloth, Roadsaw, Witchcraft, Krux.

Although Grand Magus seems to be spreading like a computer virus, the US still hasn’t seen the official release of ‘Monument’.

The Music Cartel should already have released it. I guess it’s the usual delays, you know, but hopefully within a month or so.

To wrap things up, I asked JB to tell me a little bit about Grand Magus’ future plans.

More metal! We’re currently writing stuff for the next album and believe me, it’s heavy and relentless as the hordes of Asgard.

www.grandmagus.com