Gravity

Neil deGrasse Tyson ‏@neiltyson 22h

The film #Gravity should be renamed "Zero Gravity"

The film #Gravity should be renamed "Angular Momentum"

The film #Gravity depicts a scenario of catastrophic satellite destruction that can actually happen.

Mysteries of #Gravity: Why Bullock, a medical Doctor, is servicing the Hubble Space Telescope.

Mysteries of #Gravity: How Hubble (350mi up) ISS (230mi up) & a Chinese Space Station are all in sight lines of one another.

Mysteries of #Gravity: When Clooney releases Bullock's tether, he drifts away. In zero-G a single tug brings them together.

Mysteries of #Gravity: Why anyone is impressed with a zero-G film 45 years after being impressed with "2001:A Space Odyssey"

Mysteries of #Gravity: Why Bullock's hair, in otherwise convincing zero-G scenes, did not float freely on her head.

Neil deGrasse Tyson ‏@neiltyson 21h

Mysteries of #Gravity: Nearly all satellites orbit Earth west to east yet all satellite debris portrayed orbited east to west

Mysteries of #Gravity: Satellite communications were disrupted at 230 mi up, but communications satellites orbit 100x higher.

Mysteries of #Gravity: Why we enjoy a SciFi film set in make-believe space more than we enjoy actual people set in real space

Neil deGrasse Tyson ‏@neiltyson 16h

My Tweets hardly ever convey opinion. Mostly perspectives on the world. But if you must know, I enjoyed #Gravity very much.

Haven't seen the movie but I loved seeing this on my Twitter feed.

Actually took a trip out of town to see this last Tuesday on a supposed IMAX screen. It was also the first IMAX screen I'd watched, and while it was appreciably better than a typically good digital screen, it wasn't the really big IMAX "Experience" screen that you've heard about. Instead it was just an IMAX digital screen. Looked great, but not sure it was worth the cost for gas or the ticket over just a regular theatre.

Anyway, the movie itself was great.

Always good to see Bullock in a more serious role, and I might actually have to watch The Blind Side.

^Not quite, but still not up to the hype in my opinion. As far as this kind of movie is concerned, Moon topped it for me. And not even Bullock in space underpants could surpass it.