Greetings - first post here !

Carpathian Psychonaut

A fan of music......
Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
Hello folks !

It's my first post here so I'd say hi and catch up on a few things.

Firstly, I'm lucky enough to have heard the whole of Damnation and it's just the best thing ever - yeah, it IS different to the previous Opeth stuff but it has a sound that could only be them. The production is incredible - every note of every instrument is so spot on.

As for the vocals (and here's where I make my first controversial statement :D )...the soft clean vocals are incredible. No growls, no shouts and no screams...just a real example of what a fine vocal style he has - a true master.

The tracks do have the trademark twists and turns but with a different flavour to it - and believe me, although not all loud and crashing it's pretty dark both in atmosphere and lyrics. Twiddly folk it's certainly not !

To have either of this pair of CD's from a band is pretty special but for Opeth to be able to do both.........wow !! Those who've not read the "Deliverance" studio report on the offical site - do so !!

Anyway, hello to everybody

Carpathian

Welcome, dude. I myself just got my promo copy of Damnation this morning, and I am listening to it for the 5th or 6th time now. Very impressed. Although it is not heavy, it is what a mellow Opeth cd should be!

Very true - when I heard they were doing a "heavy" CD and a "light" CD I was a little curious but although it IS lighter in volume, it's also certainly *darker* in content.

How they manage to do this AND keep it mellow is a real feat !

Carpathian

Welcome man!
I read the Review in Sweden Rock Magazine and it got 9/10... and now you come here and say it's great... I CAN*T WAIT! :)
*Sigh* Guess i'll have to pass my time with some other Opeth instead...

Yes, indeed; Damnation is very good album of these guys from Sweden. When I heard that Opeth was recording a bit slower album with no distorted guitars, I became really curious. After my first listen-session my judgement was clear: This is really great AND really Progressive!!! :)

ChrisEmerson said:
episode 666: just download it if you are that desperate, and you are gonna buy it anyway.

Man, i almost did, but i feel that the first time i hear it should be in my stereo or in my pportable CD player, The way it was meant to be played...

Noone else feel like this?