Ground Shaking Albums...

Post-rock is an evolution of rock music that is mainyl (but not limited to) being instrumental.

Remember kids, just because an album is heavy doesn't make it metal.

The full definition of post-rock can be found on allmusic.com.

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
Well, you'd still be wrong, I'm pretty sure of it.

You're wrong. Sorry bro.

Truth is, I fuckin despise all this genre/sub-genre bullshit but I still gotaa call a spade a spade. I know "stoner rock" is a pretty weak term but it makes a lot more sense than the term "post rock", which is a bit redundant wouldn't you say?

Anyways, bands that are considered "post-rock", like Godspeed You Black Emperor!, A Silver Mt. Zion, etc have absolutely NO correlation to a band like Pelican. Total different sides of the spectrum. Why would you think that Pelican are huge in the Stoner/Doom crowd more than any other and associate themselves with mostly stoner/doom bands?

I think "post-rock" is more coined on the term "progressive" imho since what they are doing, in essence, is progressing music.

*shrug*

Hmm, Ive done some thinkin about this question, and Id like to add some things to my list.

In Flames - Colony
In Flames - Clayman
Carcass - Heartwork
Suidakra - Signs For The Fallen
Venom - Resurrection
Mithotyn - Kings Of The Distant Forest
Darkane - Expanding Senses
Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness
Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican
Exhorder - The Law

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Godsmack - Awake
Hatebreed - Perseverance
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Cryptopsy - Whisper Supremacy
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Carcass - Heartwork
Sevendust - Sevendust
Entombed - Clandestine
Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Nailbomb - Point Blank
Life Of Agony - River Runs Red
Otep - Sevas Tra
Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
Vehemence - Helping The World To See

Just picked up God Forbid - Gone Forever. It's one hell of an aggressive album. Popped that CD in my stereo and the whole house shook. The double bass sounds excellent :headbang:

I actually thought about this subject, and put a few cds on just to confirm my suspicions. From what I have heard, I think Sleep is the most bottom heavy band ever. Sunn 0))) is close, but how can you judge them when they are nothing but Sleep worshippers?

Gory Elephant said:
So, not quite sure what exactly you are getting at, since for me, heaps of bottom end and killer double bass dont' necessarily mean they are the best for blasting your neighbors or driving around too, but, for pure, bone-crushing heaviness, absolutely nothing beats MORTICIAN - House by the Cemetery - at obnoxiously high volume.

A close second would be OBITUARY - Cause of Death

Hmmmm, a third would be the Disgorge/CBT split - the DISGORGE side will crush your skull it is so heavy.

Think that is it for now.
Mike

I think we basically mean the same thing, but think of it in different ways...

Anyway the Disgorge/CBT split is a good suggestion, though i prefer the CBT side. Its all good shit though.

I wanna add: Dying Fetus to the list. a heap of their songs sound fucking awesome cranked.

BTW i consider Pelican to be progressive instrumental rock. Simple definition...

suffocation-pierced from within, despise the sun
carcass-heartwork
emperor-ix equilibrium
decapitated-all
cryptopsy-none so vile, whisper supremacy
nevermore-dead heart in a dead world
dying fetus-destroy the opposition
cannibal corpse-bloodthirst
pig destroyer-prowler in the yard
in flames-colony
morbid angel-domination
nile-in their darkened shrines

josh.

Whenever I want to drive around and blast shit, and I want an album that kicks ass all the way through, I choose Testament's The Gathering
fucking rocks.