Guess the Dragonforce set?

NorseBlood

franks n steins
Nov 6, 2013
Smashville
As you know, Dragonforce will headline the first day of PPXII this year with a "best of" set list. Do you want to venture a guess as to what songs Dragonforce will definitely play? I would lay my list down here, but sadly I'm not familiar enough with Dragonforce to even try. I'm hoping you'll provide a "cheatsheet" for those of us who need to quickly get up to speed with the band.

Through The Fire and The Flames is guaranteed. Valley of the Damned used to be guaranteed but since this is a best of set list I'm sure it will be back. For a ballad, Starfire was played at every Dragonforce show I've seen and I've seen loads. Fury of the storm is almost a certainty I would say. The Last Journey Home seems to be a fan fave. Other songs likely are Operation Ground and Pound, Three Hammers and Cry Thunder.

Thanks Fire. I have a lot of those already because they're on the "Twilight Dementia" album which I have but never really gave much of a chance. I'll have to give it a second chance now and listen to it some more - especially since I've bought the tickets.

I was reading about their "Power Within" album, their new vocalist, and the band having taken a new direction away from their past efforts. Is this your impression? Your thoughts on the new vocalist and how that has affected Dragonforce's music, if any?

I wouldn't say they've taken a new direction as such. It sounds like Dragonforce pretty much but they have moved away from the video gamey sound they used to have. The guitar sounds a bit heavier, but not so plastic maybe. I must admit I didn't really get into Marc Hudson's vocals at first and missed ZP's helium induced highs but I think I got used to him so much that he sounds much better than ZP now. His performance on the last album is really excellent and much better than first time round for his debut. The music is not so helter skelter anymore either, well at least not all the time. You get excellent melodic metal songs like Cry Thunder and Three Hammers which are not speed fixated. They are pretty tight and fun live band as well, but they can tend to overplay a little and show off a little too much. The melodies are still enjoyable though and I'm sure if you can bare them on record, you'll enjoy it live just as much.

I just want to say how awesome your avatar is. Instant credibility with me.

I'm still messing around with the avatar. Trying to figure out how to do a couple of things with Gimp...

Edit: Ok I'll settle on this one. Was going to do a chrome effect on the T, but if its not orange... well then WTF? Glad you like it. Can't much better than cred from the PP bossman himself, unless of course its Butch Jones but even then..

Hey Glenn I'm thinking someone needs to get Dragonforce to play a metalized version of Rocky Top.

Last edited:
The main change in Dragonforce's sound is a few slower songs where it used to be all superfast songs plus one ballad. The solos are shorter now too. Basically they are becoming a more ordinary power metal band whereas they used to be unique. It might sound like I'm slagging them, but not really, the new stuff is awesome. But I think the lame critics got to them. They were right the first time when they said they get hated on for playing fast all the time, but if you want to listen to bands play slow, just listen to like, every other band. It's always amused me that bands that don't ever play fast and have almost the same tempo in every song(ahem, half the prog bands out there) are considered artistic geniuses, but a band that plays fast is somehow not serious.