Guide Me (Peavey 6534+)

Doomsayer4013

New Metal Member
Aug 28, 2011
Flint-ish, Michigan
Been lurking the forums for a while and have been fiddling with recording guitars for about a year. I've been getting slightly better but not making any leaps in progress on making the guitars sit well in a mix. My question is where would you go from here? Warning it's a very short clip, and I used the Rose of Sharyn Backtrack.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42183301/Rose of Sharyn Mesa1.wav

To my ears it sounds a little muddy in the low-end, and not quite enough presence. My setup is a Gibson Explorer (Stock Pickups) into Maxon OD808 (OD 8:00, tone 1:00, balance 2:00), Peavey 6534+ on the lead ch, into a mesa standard 412, miced up at the edge of the cone and one inch from the cloth with an SM57, into an Apogee Duet, in Reaper. A little subtractive EQ'ing done around 500 and 900 hz, HP'd at 60-ish, LP'd at 12K-ish.

I'm not going for an exact copy of the KSE tone, just something that fits the mix. I think the mic position sounds good, but I'm unsure if I should continue messing with that, or to try dialing in a better tone. I don't have the luxury of a separate room to monitor the guitars in, or a good room to track the amp in, just a finished basement. Advice would be appreciated.

Louder clip http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42183301/Rose of Sharyn Mesa3.wav

Doesn't sound half bad to me, sounds a bit quiet though. Raise the guitar buss up 1.5dB and re-post the mix and I may have more applicable advice upon hearing that.

There's the one I needed to hear. Sounds to me like the room is either small, or its untreated and you are getting reflections from the walls. Try to envision the cabinet shining forth a bouncing light that reflects off every surface it hits then continues to bounce around the room, and place the cabinet in the spot in the room least likely to have reflections interfere with the original sound at the mic.

There's the one I needed to hear. Sounds to me like the room is either small, or its untreated and you are getting reflections from the walls. Try to envision the cabinet shining forth a bouncing light that reflects off every surface it hits then continues to bounce around the room, and place the cabinet in the spot in the room least likely to have reflections interfere with the original sound at the mic.

Thanks for the advice. The basement is about 15 ft wide x 45 feet long, no treatment at all. The cab is about 8 feet from one end of the basement. I've been angling it a slightly towards the wall rather than just pointing the cab straight to the other end of the basement.

Thanks for the advice. The basement is about 15 ft wide x 45 feet long, no treatment at all. The cab is about 8 feet from one end of the basement. I've been angling it a slightly towards the wall rather than just pointing the cab straight to the other end of the basement.

Cool. Maybe the floor is having more of an effect on the sound than the walls. If the floor is bare cement, I would start by buying one or maybe even two throw rugs to put under the cab when recording, at least 6x6 I think would be enough. Maybe look into floor isolation like an Auralex Great Gramma in addition to the rugs.

Cool. Maybe the floor is having more of an effect on the sound than the walls. If the floor is bare cement, I would start by buying one or maybe even two throw rugs to put under the cab when recording, at least 6x6 I think would be enough. Maybe look into floor isolation like an Auralex Great Gramma in addition to the rugs.

Well the floor is carpeted, but could getting the cab off the ground help? Also just to clarify, would you say the tone itself sounds good, no need for adjustments?

Well the floor is carpeted, but could getting the cab off the ground help? Also just to clarify, would you say the tone itself sounds good, no need for adjustments?

I wouldn't say that. It's not seating in the mix right because you have room ER fucking it up. I can't comment on the tone because it's not a clear recording of the amp. It sounds like either ER or a miking issue. I still lean to the ER side, but it could be either. Play with it.

Shameless plug: here is my version of the song, as a reference.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/ROS 2:24:12.mp3

I wouldn't say that. It's not seating in the mix right because you have room ER fucking it up. I can't comment on the tone because it's not a clear recording of the amp. It sounds like either ER or a miking issue. I still lean to the ER side, but it could be either. Play with it.

Shameless plug: here is my version of the song, as a reference.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/ROS 2:24:12.mp3

Sounds nice and full, as well as clear without much, if any, cloudiness. The only thing I can really think of is to throw a mattress and/or blankets/sleep bags up against the closest reflection areas.