GUITAR/BASS TECHNICIANS, READ!!! BASS WIRING NEEDS HELP!!!

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
Hey guys.

I have had a bass sitting in my room for so long now. it is an Ibanez EDB350 to be exact, a discontinued model which i cannot for the life of me find a wiring schematic ANYWHERE to use as a guide. so my only other option, besides taking it to a store and paying somebody way too much money to do it for me, is to see what you guys have to say about this. I feel like it is a lot more simple than i see it to be, but my only problem is that i have NO IDEA where most of the wires should be connected to D:

Here is a picture of what the inside currently looks like. if its hard to tell, i'll try to explain.

There is a black wire connected to the right side of the input jack which is then connected to nothing (though it looks connected to the battery "port", but it is not). there are 2 other black wires connected from the far right pot, which i presume is a tone pot. one of those wires is also connected to nothing, and the other goes inside the wood of the guitar (not sure where to). a grey wire connects the two appearing pots together. a white wire then goes from the far left pot to the inside of the wood, apparently to the guitar's pickup. also aside, you can see the battery with the red and black wires (assuming those connect to the input jack to provide power) and some yellow chip-like thing with a yellow wire. and there is also one more white wire (not pictured).

2f0ap1h.jpg

I hope this thread is clear enough for some help, as i am SOOOO sick and tired of using my 6 string for tracking BASS GTR riffs. I JUST WANT TO HAVE A FREAKIN WORKING BASS GUITAR AGAIN! if anybody can lend me a helping hand or two, i would be one happy camper :)

Stock Pickups? If it has EMG you've only to search the EMG schematics. Anyway the black wire that goes into the body is connecter to the bridge or something else (ground). There are also lot of ground connection on the body of the pots.
It's hard without a schematics.
Usually from the input jack you have 1 ground and 1 wire connected to the tone pot and from here to the pickup selector (if you have one). From the pickup you have 1 wire connected to the volume pot and a ground (pot's body).

pretty sure its stock, seeing as how i dont see any EMG label anywhere. but you have kinda pointed me in the right direction. or so i think. anybody have any other info to add to what he said?

The Ergodyne basses used passive pups.

The thing with the yellow wire is a PCB (printed circuit board). This contains the active circuitry; preamp/EQ of some sort.

You should be able to get output by just wiring up the passives. Google up some diagrams. Here's one:

vol-tone-pkup-jk.jpg

Hopefully that extra white wire will reach from the volume knob to the socket, or else you'll have to rustle some up from somewhere.

You should probably google a bit on wiring dos-and-don'ts if you're total noob at such stuff.

There are 3 pins on your jack socket because it's designed for TRS (tip, ring & sleeve) jacks. Since the guitar uses a TS jack, the ring and sleeve contacts in the socket are connected together by inserting the jack. To use only the passives, connect ground to just one of them, doesn't matter which. The signal wire has to connect to the tip contact, otherwise when you plug it into an amp all you get is "GNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN".

If you want to restore the active circuitry... you'd need someone who knows what they're doing to take a proper look at it.

The battery positive (red wire) will need to connect to the PCB somewhere. Connect it in the wrong place and you'll likely fry the circuitry.

The yellow wire will either connect the input of the PCB to the volume control, or the PCB output to the socket. The extra white wire you mention will be whichever one of those the yellow wire isn't.

The battery negative ONLY (black wire) will connect to either the ring or sleeve contact on the jack socket. The ground wiring for everything else in the guitar will connect to the other. That way the circuit from the battery is only completed when contacts are joined by inserting a plug.

But hey, the actives are probably shite anyway. Wire it up as a passive and you'll at least be able to use the damn thing. :D

Hope this helps.