Guitar/Bass-to-amp gear chains...

plague_rider

Coffee
Nov 13, 2008
Newcastle
So in regards to guitar, the most knowledge i have is Guitar->Dist->Gate->FX->Amp (if thats even right)

in the interests of expanding my knowledge on the subject, anyone out there fancy posting a few of their gear chains up?? Guitar and/or Bass...

just so i can get to know the dos/don'ts and such...

any other tips would also be appreciated...

thanks guys

Guitar Chains:

1)
Guitar -> Splitter -> A/B

A -> Mixer DI Input
B -> Ernie Ball Volume Pedal -> Rodenberg Gas 728 -> Amp -> Cab -> Mic -> Mixer

Mixer -> Aux Send (from DI Input) -> Tuner

2)

A -> Mixer DI Input
B -> Ernie Ball Volume Pedal -> Rodenberg Gas 728 -> Switcher -> C/D

C -> Damage Control Demonizer -> Mixer Mono Channel 3
D -> Damage Control Womanize -> Mixer Mono Channel 4

Mixer -> Aux Send (from Channel 3&4) -> TC Eletronics G-Sharp -> Mixer Stereo Channel 9/10
Mixer -> Aux Send (from DI Input) -> Tuner

3)

A -> Mixer DI Input
B -> Ernie Ball Volume Pedal -> Baldringer Dual Drive -> FX Return Amp -> Cab -> Mixer

Bass Chain

Bass -> Aguilar Tonehammer -> A/B
A -> DI Out -> Mixer with Original Bass Signal
B -> GP Lightstone TubeBass Preamp -> Mixer

Guitar--->whammy--->wah-->od ( if needed)--->amp
FX loop of the amp goes as follows send-->Ns-2--->delay ( if needed)--->amp return

However that was my last rig, I don't have a gigging amp or band now

Bass -> Boss TU-2 -> Bass Driver DI -> Peavey PV900 Power amp.

Not much to see here. :D I used to use a Tube Screamer, Chorus & Morley Bass Wah but ditched them when I realised how little I actually used them vs how much my pedalboard weighed.

simpler is the way like...

any preferences on using gates/comps/delay/wah??

With gates, it depends on whether the noise you're trying to gate is from a bunch of pedals or just general amp hiss (the 5150 especially suffers from this, not like I really care in a live environment when everything else is so fucking noisy anyway) - last in the pedal chain before the amp if the former, in the loop if the latter. Compressing shouldn't be necessary for rhythm playing, though I guess I can see the use of it for solos, and I would say it'd probably work better in the loop for that, but try it before the amp too. Delay definitely in the loop, wah definitely before the amp IMO!

Cheers guys....

Marcus - where possible i.e. in the case of using revalver and such, would you suggest using noise-supressors/gates in both the FX Loop and between the pedals and the amp??

noted on the wah/delay positions...

i ask regarding comps as a friend of mine swears by his setup of
Ltd EC-1000->Boss MD-2->Boss NS-2->MXR Dyna-Comp->Amp

he's more of a metalcore player and also loves the pinch, he says it enhances them. i have no idea as i say i'm not much of a guitarist and have little gear myself...

It makes some sense, but since heavy distortion pretty much eliminates all dynamics anyway (I won't say compression because it pretty much isn't, mostly just epic clipping ;)), I just feel it's better to maintain what little you can before the amp. Obviously, if there's no degradation in sound by using the compressor before the amp, then fuck it, go for it, but I and many many many many others have no trouble getting pinch harmonics just by going guitar --> amp, so perhaps technique is more the issue? Again, though, I have my doubts a compressor before the amp for rhythms would sound very good (or natural), but if it does, then go for it, I suppose! (but I still feel like he should work on his squealies if he needs a compressor to make 'em really stand out)

However, I just looked and saw that the MD-2 is a distortion pedal, so that's pretty fail right there (I HAET distortion pedals :mad: ), and having the compressor after it, oh lordy... :loco:

And with Revalver, since there's not really much of a "loop" and I don't see the need for any pedals besides a TS (rather than using a simulation), I'd say just put a gate plugin at the very end of the chain and that'll be good enough!

GUITAR -> DanElectro EQ -> DOD Comp. -> Zoom Distortion (don't ask) -> Vox Wah -> AMP -> MXR EQ -> DOD Flanger -> DOD Chorus -> Marshall VibroTrem -> DanElectro Delay

On the compressor front, I mainly use it as a boost for solos/leads (especially as I'm the only guitarist in the band), but it is useful for other things too. Most of my parts are 4 string chords, and depending on the venue they can sound like either just high strings or just low strings - especially on changes like F-Fsus2-Fm, it can all sound like the same chord. The compressor just helps even things out a little - sometimes 'natural' doesn't equate to 'good', and with only one guitar 'clear' usually wins out over natural anyway.

Even with all my pedals I've never needed a gate or noise suppressor though - the Vox is the only pedal that does anything really nasty to the sound, and that's more a tone thing than a noise thing. Both my amp and the distortion pedal are all but silent when I'm not playing.

Bass-wise, I change it all the time, but if I use any pedals they're exactly the same ones I use with the guitar. The distortion and the flanger are pretty much constants, but the rest I just kinda pick at random.

Steve

Live rig as of now:

Guitar>tuner>od808>mxr smartgate>amp>send to phaser>delay>amp return

Recording:

Guitar>Di split to FMR RNP and amp

I have my noisegate before the TS and already have the gate closed to about 3 o'clock. My TS boosts the level just a very small bit.
I wonder if you guys who put your noisegate after the TS have the gate really all the way up then?
If you just have a TS or very few pedals isn't the noisegate's performance badly affected by them?

My chain is: Wireless, Noisegate, TS, Tuner, Lehle Dual, Amps