The Gear I saw at the show

johnzorn

Sep 20, 2004
So I just saw The Autumn Offering, Cattle Decapitation, and Cryptopsy, and as most gear heads are, I'm sure some want to know the gear they use. Well, The Autumn Offering was more of a metalcore band and put on a pretty decent show. Gear wise both guitarist used 5150's (Jackson Kelly, and Gibson SG) and the bassist a Gallien Kruger with an 8x10 cab (Epiphone Thunderbird bass). Next up Cattle Decapiation. OH my they were tight live. The guitarist gear made me jealous. A Bogner ubershall and I believe an Engl Savage or possibly a power ball going into two Bogner cabs (with a Brian Moore guitar). The bassist had a full Eden setup and a Warwick with had some horrible distortion on it. And then Cryptopsy. TIGHT! Alex Auburn had the Triple Rec. three channel solo head thru a Mesa cab (and a Washburn Dimebag guitar). And Dainel Mongrain was using I believe a Boss GX700 preamp and an Rocktron Velocity 250 or 300 power amp. Eric was using an Ampeg SVT II Pro head and an old school Bass Pod Pro (as well as the Carvin 5 string which he broke the 5th and 4th string on in the first and fourth song). Anywho, hope this information is useful. Take care. :headbang:

Razorjack said:
How did the guy with the GX-700 sound ? I couldn't imagine it sounding anywhere near as good as the triple rec.

From what I could tell during the sound check it didn't sound too bad (the GX-700 and Velocity were going into a Mesa Boogie cab). His tone was pretty dry and thick. It didn't have that smooth, natural distortion like the Triple Rec. but when they played together the tone blended well. His solo tone was insane. Daniel did the second solo in the song "We Bleed" and his solo tone was better than Alex's. Plus Daniel had the sweep picking down like it was nothing. His technique was fluid as all hell (I loved his playing in Martyr as well).

Which show were you at? I saw them last night (Sunday) in Atlanta. I guess I didn't get to hear Alex's triple rectifier, because I think there was something wrong with the mix at the Masquerade, and whenever he did a lead I couldn't really hear it, so I guess I was just hearing Daniel's awesome guitar work.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Which show were you at? I saw them last night (Sunday) in Atlanta. I guess I didn't get to hear Alex's triple rectifier, because I think there was something wrong with the mix at the Masquerade, and whenever he did a lead I couldn't really hear it, so I guess I was just hearing Daniel's awesome guitar work.

I was at the show in Nashville at the Exit/In. Funny, I was in Atlanta on Friday and Saturday. The sound at the Exit/In was perfect. Flo's drumset sounded huge (I got to talk to Lord Worm and he said that at the show Paiste and Zilidjan were there to listen to him so he can get an endorsement) He already has Vic Firth and Pearl on him, so he's almost set *l* Oh yeah, could you tell what brank guitar Daniel was playing. I tried to read the headstock but couldnt' tell. It looked like a Jackson Stealth. :headbang:

Nice reporting. Now Cryptopsy needs to figure out a way to sound as good on CD as they do live. Somehow it never has translated IMO. They need Andy. :)

I thought on the "Graves Of The Fathers" video on their site, they sounded just like on the album...so I guess it sounds excellent on the whole DVD. The sound was pretty good on Sunday, except for the already mentioned lead guitar issue.

Oh....I can't remember what kind of guitar Daniel had. I just remember that I thought it was a Jackson, but looking at the headstock, it was some bvrand I hadn't heard of before.

Kazrog said:
Nice reporting. Now Cryptopsy needs to figure out a way to sound as good on CD as they do live. Somehow it never has translated IMO. They need Andy. :)

I got that backwards the first time....I don't really agree with that, but I just have None So Vile.

johnzorn said:
From what I could tell during the sound check it didn't sound too bad (the GX-700 and Velocity were going into a Mesa Boogie cab). His tone was pretty dry and thick. It didn't have that smooth, natural distortion like the Triple Rec. but when they played together the tone blended well. His solo tone was insane. Daniel did the second solo in the song "We Bleed" and his solo tone was better than Alex's. Plus Daniel had the sweep picking down like it was nothing. His technique was fluid as all hell (I loved his playing in Martyr as well).

Daniel Mongrain use a Rocktron Chameleon. The GX-700 is only for few effects and pitchshift. He gets his distortion from Chameleon and he use a Rocktron Velocity 250 like amplifier

PierreLuc(AstralGates) said:
Daniel Mongrain use a Rocktron Chameleon. The GX-700 is only for few effects and pitchshift. He gets his distortion from Chameleon and he use a Rocktron Velocity 250 like amplifier

I didn't think anyone would use the preamp from the GX-700!! Using the chameleon is much more understandable.

PierreLuc(AstralGates) said:

Awesome. I didn't see the Rocktron Chameleon, but I does make since because I know the GX700 wasn't capalbe of tolerable distortion. Thanks again.