Guitar direct boxes

arv_foh

Brian K
Oct 3, 2006
Columbus, OH
Hey guys, I just had a quick question about cabling with guitar DIs. Specifically I am using the Behringer GI100. Normally I use them from a line out on the back of the amp. Well... not all amps have line outs. In this quote direct from their website it says the DI supports "Direct connection of amplifier outputs with ratings of up to 3,000 Watts."

My question is, when doing that, and using a passthrough cable (running amp output->DI then DI->speaker cab), I would use a speaker cable, correct?

I am using these in a live situation, not for studio work, and usually use them in combination with a mic, but I like the control I have over the tone when using a DI. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey guys, I just had a quick question about cabling with guitar DIs. Specifically I am using the Behringer GI100. Normally I use them from a line out on the back of the amp. Well... not all amps have line outs. In this quote direct from their website it says the DI supports "Direct connection of amplifier outputs with ratings of up to 3,000 Watts."

My question is, when doing that, and using a passthrough cable (running amp output->DI then DI->speaker cab), I would use a speaker cable, correct?

I am using these in a live situation, not for studio work, and usually use them in combination with a mic, but I like the control I have over the tone when using a DI. Thanks in advance for your help.
Yeah, when using it as a pass through at amp level you would need 2 speaker cables: amp-->di and di-->cab.

Cool, that's what I thought, thank you for confirming it!
And I'll add that even though I am very suspicious of beringer products, candlemass's FOH guy used these mixed in with the mics and it sounded fantastic. Granted he was hands down the best live sound engineer I've ever seen work.

This has worked great so far. When I am connecting to a half stack I press in both 20db pads and have no issues with clipping on the DI. Sounds great in combination with a 57 or 609.