Guitar micing tips sm57/sm58

xXDAMAGEDXx

7 string abuse
Jan 13, 2006
Hi this is my first post here so please excuse me if this has been asked before - i am used to micing my 4x12 Engl cab with an sm57 off axis and want to try using a 2nd mic sm58 at the same time maybe 2 or 3 feet back from the cab to catch some of the boomyness. Basically i want to know if the sm58 is suitable for this use? and if it can handle being positioned close to the speaker?
Are there any other issues i need to be aware of?
Thanks in advance.

Using that 58 a few feet back might sound okay in some contexts, but if you want that upfront metal sound (which is probably why you're posting on this forum in particular as opposed to the other hundred or so recording forums on the internet), it's probably not going to help much if any. If you can manage to get a little low end boost out of it, I suppose you could just run a low pass EQ over that mic and then mix it with the 57's signal, but I really haven't come across a metal guitar sound that I needed a dynamic sitting a few feet back to get.

That said, nothings stopping you from trying it rather than having a bunch of people on the internet guess whether it'll work for your room/amp/guitar/etc.

I tried that a few years ago (and with condenser mics in the room), only to find out that it didn't work for metal at all (because of phase issues, and the fact that a 57 close to the speaker gets more than enough boominess), but yeah, go ahead and prove us wrong :).

heheh shot down, im going to try it soon my band will be recording in the next month or so, ill get some poor fool to move the mics around while im playing and sitting behind the desk.

I finally got a chance to try out that "Nordstrom" technique, dual mic with the condenser on the cone and the 57 to the side and angled. Except that I was going off memory and had the condenser on the side and the 57 in the middle. Still, it sounded RAD and I'm pretty stoked on the results. Can't wait to mess with it more!

Errr, no, they have the same polar pattern and the same capsule. Now I agree that they may sound different, because the sound of a microphone depends not only of his capsule, but also of his grille, his shape, and even two SM57 may sound slightly different.