guitar players!! need some help to ......

no_reply

comfortably numb
Feb 2, 2006
i need some help to improve my speedpicking, please, i'm using overdrive distortion with a drop d tune,so i guess i'm doing it wrong 'cause it sounds like crap......:cry:

no_reply said:
i need some help to improve my speedpicking, please, i'm using overdrive distortion with a drop d tune,so i guess i'm doing it wrong 'cause it sounds like crap......:cry:
<<<<<<<<<<speed pickin'?

Okay, the one and only tip is: practice..... It's as simple as that.
If you suck at it, you can only improve by practicing. A LOT.
Can't really give any other usefull tips, sorry for that...
Well, look for some guitar tabs of songs that you like where tremelo picking is used, and try to play these songs fluently.

i have an ibanez gio,and the thing is like it doesnt sound clear at all,ive tried with a fernandes as well, but sounds the same pretty puch, so someone told me to use a metal master pedal,but still it sounds odd, thanx

Just start really slow, like, at the level that you feel comfortable with, then gradually speed up. Thats pretty much how you get better an any instrument.

What gauge strings do you use? It could partially be that your strings are too light.

Just anchor the heel of your hand somewhere and use your fingers and your wrist to move- don't move your arm at all. It's much more efficient that way and accurate as well. Then play, play, play some more.

well my guitar is tuned on drop d, standar strings (the ones that came with the guitar)overdrive distortion,light pick,

The first thing I notice about people who ask me for picking advice is that they're trying too hard. If you have a distortion pedal and an amp. Let them do all the work. People who play acoustics a lot make the mistake of digging in too much when they play electric and it sounds like shit most of the time. You only have to hit the string enough to vibrate it, so just use your wrist to do the movement and kind of brush the string with the tip of the pick. As Kerry King put it, it's like bodybuilding - you don't start out trying to bench press 500lbs. And if you get your motion more focused, you're less likely to hit other strings and cause excess noise.

Plant your pinky, ring finger, or both on the guitar... now you can hold your hand steady having a place to support your hand, you can speed pick better with the index and thumb.

I only up the gauge of my pick when I play bass because I end up breaking or tearing my normal picks to shreds on bass. My guitar string gauges are usually 10-56 on my seven-strings and bass is usually 45-130 5-string.