Need help buying a guitar

The Yngster

Jun 7, 2002
New York, USA
Visit site
I just started playing about 6-7 months ago, and I'm fed up with my piece of crap beginner's guitar. Since I know just about nothing except for some brand names, I need some help. I'm looking for something around $300 or $400 dollars, any help would be great.

I have an Ibanez RG550 and it plays great. It's a little bit out of your price range, but not by much. It's a great all around guitar.

I'd definitely go the 550 route if possible. Even if it means saving a little longer. They are great guitars for the money!

Alden

personally, I think for that price range you can't go wrong with a Fender stratocaster. For that price range they are the best built electrics you can get. And the good thing is, if you ever want to upgrade it, you can just put in new pickups and now you're playing a 600 dollar guitar or whatever.

I won't argue with you about the stratocaster, I use to have one. It's a great guitar (the mexican ones, not the squire series). The only downside is the single coil pickups.

Since this is a metal music forum, I'm guessing he'll be using it for mostly metal. A humbucker at the bridge would be a far better pickup for this type of music.

Originally posted by Mazinger
I won't argue with you about the stratocaster, I use to have one. It's a great guitar (the mexican ones, not the squire series). The only downside is the single coil pickups.

Since this is a metal music forum, I'm guessing he'll be using it for mostly metal. A humbucker at the bridge would be a far better pickup for this type of music.

Well, they make a lot of strats now with humbuckers in the bridge so that option isnt a problem...and also...I figured too since he likes yngwie he might like to try a strat :)

Originally posted by Yngvai X
Well, they make a lot of strats now with humbuckers in the bridge so that option isnt a problem...and also...I figured too since he likes yngwie he might like to try a strat :)

Thanks a lot, the Fender Strato is actually the guitar I was originally going to buy, because of Yngwie :) Since I know some of you are very serious players, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't blowing 400 dollars when I can get a much better one for the same price.

Funny thing, my first guitar was a blue Mexico Strat with a humbucker in bridge. Hey Yngster, happy shredding, man. Keep practicing and you'll be kicking Yngie's ass in no time. ;)