I need help with buying monitors

Asphyxiated

Mar 3, 2008
Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys have any tips on buying monitors? I'm looking at a price tag around 300/350 dollars at the moment. So some good sounding monitors with a nice price tag :)

buy the most expensive monitors you can afford (most likely anything $800+ will be great monitors).

(imo) ...other than your mtr/computer & room treatment, your monitors are the most important thing you will ever own as a mixing engineer.

so splurge!

Use the search, as there is a ton of info in regards to this exact question, especially in your price range.

If I had to give my recommendation, it would be the KRK Rockit 5 G2's. I just got a set, and I've never heard more accurate monitors in this price range.

I would agree with Guru about listening before you buy, but that comes with one stipulation: They have to be broken in good. Every set of monitors I've listened on "straight out the box" needed a good 10-20 minutes of VERY LOUD warm-up, just one time before they are good and broken in for regular use. Until you do that, they usually don't deliver their mids/lows how they should, or they'll just sound scooped as fuck.

I broke in the KRK's i just got with the same record I always use. Works like a charm. AC/DC - Back In Black @ VERY HIGH VOLUME. By the time you hit "You Shook Me All Night Long", everything should be coming through nicely. And really, who the fuck wouldn't have a good time blasting some A.C. FUCKING D.C. ?!?! :kickass:

Every set of monitors I've listened on "straight out the box" needed a good 10-20 minutes of VERY LOUD warm-up, just one time before they are good and broken in for regular use.

It took 5-6 days for me but not really loud.
At a normal listening volume.

It took 5-6 days for me but not really loud.
At a normal listening volume.

If you haven't cranked them yet, they aren't broken in. Your ears just started getting used to them after a week. Trust me (if you haven't yet) open them sumbitches up like a stolen Lambo for about 20 minutes. This will deepen the image on any good set of monitors, allowing a more "true" sonic delivery.