Studio Monitors - Yes or No?

Jan [MTW]

Aug 26, 2010
Germany
At the moment I am mixing my track on a very cheap Hi-fi system, which I bought for 149€ (in the year 2007) ! :lol:
But my mixes always sound very different on the PC-Monitors of my
friends.
So i am wondering if professional studio monitors (~350€) would
be a good thing to go, even if i don't want to rebuild my room?!
Or do they not help if my room isn't build right?

But does it change very much of the sound?
And which monitors would be the best if I would pay ~360€?
(Or are 360€ to much if i don't build my room
prefessionally?)

And which monitors would be the best if I would pay ~360€?
(Or are 360€ to much if i don't build my room
prefessionally?)

professional, near field reference monitors will improve your playback... yes.

but not your listening.

it would interest you to learn compensation techniques that will improve your listening skills. this will allow you to mix on practically any pair speakers... (anywhere).

one of the differences between hifi systems and near-field/active monitors is that near-field monitors (most) maintain a flat response @(40/50Hz - 30kHz)

traditionally "hifi" systems maintain a coloration (style-setting) in the circuitry.

I used a pc system to mix a track 3+ years ago then I got some cheap studio monitors and I had to go back and totally remix it.

Im not sure for a Euro price, I used a pair of Tapco S5's which are really good for the price.

Ideally you want studio monitors and a treated room. Saying that, my room still isnt treated :\

I used a pc system to mix a track 3+ years ago then I got some cheap studio monitors and I had to go back and totally remix it.

Im not sure for a Euro price, I used a pair of Tapco S5's which are really good for the price.

Ideally you want studio monitors and a treated room. Saying that, my room still isnt treated :

I use KRK rokit5 gen2, and they are good in that pricerange imo.
Untreated room here too though unfortunatly still...

I never understood why people are so prone on getting a properly treated room for mixing.. It's really not THAT necessary at all...

Would the "ADAM A7" be a good choice?
http://www.thomann.de/de/adam_a7.htm
They have a VERY good rating on this page....:err:

a7s are extremely versatile pro-sumer monitors.

i own a pair of s5x and i use them a lot... i used to have the a7s but i traded them for genelec 1032s. i prefer genelec near fields to adam near fields.

for the price, i would say that adam/tannoy/dynaudio/focal are your best bet.

also krk v series are great for the price.

Are you actually serious?

ya know? a mentor of mine (jack douglas) mixes in rooms that haven't been treated all that much.

in one of the studios i work in is a heptagon with no traps or diffusion.

i do not subscribe to this method however many engineers are more comfortable mixing/mastering in an environment with true disparities.

ya know? a mentor of mine (jack douglas) mixes in rooms that haven't been treated all that much.

in one of the studios i work in is a heptagon with no traps or diffusion.

i do not subscribe to this method however many engineers are more comfortable mixing/mastering in an environment with true disparities.

yeah id say you wouldnt need as much treatment in a room with that many sides, would give less standing wave trouble for starters, i work in a four wall room that is about 6 inches away from being a perfect cube :lol::lol: building broad band traps as we speak