Guitar Poweramp Help

joshuapearson

New Metal Member
Sep 9, 2004
Hi. I know that metalheads know the most about gear, so I figured this forum was the best place to seek advice. I am considering going to a rackmount guitar setup, and I am going to try using a POD Pro XT with a Power amp. I would like to be able to run the rig into a stereo 412 cab at 4 ohms, with aroud 150 watts behind each channel. I don't know too much about Power Amps; well, I actually know nothing about Power Amps; so I was wondering if anyone could recomend a power amp that would supply 150W per channel at 4 ohms, will work well with a guitar setup, is around $600 or less; spending more wouldn't allow me to justify going rackmount to myself, if I spend more than $1400 I might as well wait another paycheck and spring for a Vetta II.

Also..does anyone know if this will even sound good? I love the way the POD Pro sounds recorded (especially the Deizel VH4 and Bogner models), but will it sound as good in a live setting?

Thanks alot

Josh

Well, from my experience, metalheads and punk rockers know the least about gear, but hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, you should get a tube poweramp for your rig. It will pump some life into the POD. And believe me, you DON'T want to have 150w per side. It's just ridiculously loud. I use a 100w per side poweramp and I have a hard time getting some tube sag out of it at reasonable volumes (even on stage). 50/50 is more than enough, maybe even 20/20 if you're into power tube compression.

Here's some stuff you might want to look for:

Marshall 9100
Marshall EL84 20/20
Mesa Boogie 20/20
Mesa Boogie 50/50
VHT 2502
Engl 840/50
Engl 930/60 (maybe too loud, 60w per side)

Try to buy used. You get a whole lot more tone for less money.

joshuapearson said:
Hi. I know that metalheads know the most about gear, so I figured this forum was the best place to seek advice. I am considering going to a rackmount guitar setup, and I am going to try using a POD Pro XT with a Power amp. I would like to be able to run the rig into a stereo 412 cab at 4 ohms, with aroud 150 watts behind each channel. I don't know too much about Power Amps; well, I actually know nothing about Power Amps; so I was wondering if anyone could recomend a power amp that would supply 150W per channel at 4 ohms, will work well with a guitar setup, is around $600 or less; spending more wouldn't allow me to justify going rackmount to myself, if I spend more than $1400 I might as well wait another paycheck and spring for a Vetta II.

Also..does anyone know if this will even sound good? I love the way the POD Pro sounds recorded (especially the Deizel VH4 and Bogner models), but will it sound as good in a live setting?

Thanks alot

Josh
first off, only ONE amp that i know of has 150 Watts a side, and thats the VHT 2150. But Belive me, you DONT need 150 watts a side, 50 or 60 will do just fine. Now, regarding Ohms, most Tube amps have a switchable Ohmage indicator. My VHT 2/50/2 has a 4, 8, and 16 ohms selector, it has 50 watts a side. other amps you could check out are the Marshall 9200 (100 watts a side), 9100 (50 per side), their new EL34 equivelants, the Peavey Classic 50-50, and a VHT 2/50/2. VHT make some of the BEST power amps in the world, and are a little pricey (got mine for $875 new). but they are well worth it, and plenty loud.

There are a shitload of solid state poweramps with way more than 150w a side. They need it so you don't have to push them into clipping. But my opinion is that solid state power belongs in bass amps and PAs, not guitar rigs.

The Marshall 9200 is just as loud as my EL34 100/100 and that's just too much. Get it if you need the headroom, but if your thing is distorted guitars, you should keep it under 50w a side (20w if you like the EL84 tone).

Indiooo said:
There are a shitload of solid state poweramps with way more than 150w a side. They need it so you don't have to push them into clipping. But my opinion is that solid state power belongs in bass amps and PAs, not guitar rigs.

The Marshall 9200 is just as loud as my EL34 100/100 and that's just too much. Get it if you need the headroom, but if your thing is distorted guitars, you should keep it under 50w a side (20w if you like the EL84 tone).
yeah i almost ended up gettin ga QVC amp for my rig :lol: those things get loud to push PA's and stuff. theres nothing like a 150,000 watt stadium system :lol:

yeah the 9200 is the older version of the EL34 100/100, but the 9100 (EL34 50/50 will suffice with plenty to spare.

Yeah, the QVC type amps had me confused, because they don't have 1/4" outs, so I figured they weren't designed for guitar amplification. I work at a movie theater and we have some random amplifiers sitting around thatI was considering trying to use and I found out theyre like 1400 watts. Ive found a few of the amps you guys have suggested and the prices are pretty good, especially on the Mesa 50/50.

The old fashion way is still the best IMHO. Tube poweramps do a lot more than just amplify. They color your tone in a way that's sooo sweet.

Go out and try a VHT 2502 like the one bobvex has. I have a feeling it's the ultimate EL34 amp. A friend of mine got one recently. He's just waiting for it to arrive. I can't wait to try it out. But if you're into the Boogie kind of tone, maybe it's not such a good option. It might have too much 'bite' for your taste. But then again, I've never heard of anyone not liking it. ;)