Guitar recording advice!

sixfiftythree

New Metal Member
Apr 11, 2009
Hey, first post...I'm copying this into the rate my tone section as well as it seems relevant in both

Anyway recently gotten into recording clean DI tracks and using vsts to model the sound post-recording.

Been doing as much research as I have time to, but still a noob at this and would love feedback from you guys.

I'm basically using an amp sim (amplitube), a cab sim, and the bbe plugin. At first was really happy with the sound but the more I spent time doing this stuff the more I started doubting myself...

So yeah, anyone who would like to help me, give some pointers etc. please download my file at

http://rapidshare.com/files/22185872...three.rar.html

There are four mp3s, showing the process from clean DI to final modeled sound. The clean DI is just my guitar going through a shitty zoom mrs8 module to my computer, but when I finally record properly I'll be borrowing my friends digidesign 002 rack, have already tried it out and got a better sound.
The track's just a bunch of riffs thrown together to give a better overview of the sound, as each riff kinda focuses on different things.

IMPORTANT: This is a quadtracking project, and I was planning to use this tone as one of my base sounds. Been attempting the whole L/R 100/80 pan thing with four tracks, having two of the tracks pumping gain and treble and the other two pumping mids and cutting off some gain and treble. Have had poo results, would really appreciate some direction on this.

I've also heard that with quadtracked guitars, the right method is that for each guitar use a different impulse to keep the cab-sim sound alive. At the moment the DSS3 Mesa SM57 Pres 8 is my favourite impulse simply because it was easiest to work with. I've also got Recabinet's demo impulses, Guitarhacks ones and Podabois higher presence ENGL v30s. I like the Recabinet Ghandi impulses and Podabois ones, but still can't seem to get a sound that I'm as happy with as the DSS3 one.
If you guys have advice on this whole matching impulses technique, please share

Anyway look forward to some replies :)