Guitar sound on Iconoclast

Stoertebeker

New Metal Member
Apr 12, 2006
Hey guys,

the guitar sound on the new album IMO strikes that rare balance between clarity, fatness & tightness. Is there anything specific known as to what amps, cabs, effects and pedals MR used to get there?

Thanks and regards
Stoerte

PS: Yes, I read the FAQs already: http://symphonyx.com/faq_band.html#3

True, even if you get his caparison guitar and engl powerball. You probably won't achieve that sound, no matter how much you try to tweak it.

I have heard musicians say that "tone is in your hands man" and that is true. MJR will sound like MJR if he plays a plastic guitar at walmart; but on the other hand, an Engl amp, tc electronics nova system or fx system that he is said to use will help. Plus, knowledge of his mics, where they are placed in relation to his amps, the software, and is it an Engl, he is said to use LIne 6, Engl, mesas too. ?

I hear a rumor it was mesa Recording pre mixed with powerball. JAX can we get a confirmation from Mike??

Full details:
Guitars: Caparison with Dimarzio X2N's of course :)
Amp:??
Cab?? (Guessing Mesa 4x12 with v30s)
Mic?? (guessing a blend of 57 and a Royer)

If we could get these details it would be great!!

Some valid points have been brought up, but: While its true that the guitar sound might have been heavily sculpted at various stages after the amb-cab-mic chain, this doesn't rule out the possiblity to get in the ballpark with just that information. In this day and age MR might very well have used a modelling device like the Axe-Fx or a software amp sim which would make an approximation even easier. So I guess, it can't hurt to ask.

BTW: Does MR or someone else from the band read this forum and post in it?

The tone sounds Engly to me, so my best guess is that he used his Engl SE E670 which he uses strictly for recording purposes, and/or his Powerball which he uses both live and in the studio.

I could be wrong of course.

Does MR or someone else from the band read this forum and post in it?

No they don't post, but some of them might check it out I guess. I know Mike LePond is active on facebook (and myspace I think?), but that's it.

I have heard musicians say that "tone is in your hands man" and that is true. MJR will sound like MJR if he plays a plastic guitar at walmart; but on the other hand, an Engl amp, tc electronics nova system or fx system that he is said to use will help. Plus, knowledge of his mics, where they are placed in relation to his amps, the software, and is it an Engl, he is said to use LIne 6, Engl, mesas too. ?
Tone isn't just in the hands. It's in every single last little bit of anything that has anything to do with any part of how you perceive the sound in the end.

Brain -> Nerves -> Hands -> Guitar strings -> Guitar Body/Pickups -> Guitar Electronics -> Guitar Cable -> Anything in between the cable and amp -> Guitar Amp -> Inserts -> Amp -> Cable to cab -> Cab wires -> Cab speaker cones/chasis resonance -> air in room -> walls in room -> microphone(s), depending on position relative to amp -> mic cable -> preamp -> interface -> 1's and 0's -> DAW -> Plug-Ins -> Stereo Out -> whatever they did before they bounce the final tracks (I.E. outside mixing or processing) and to speakers -> ears -> tweaking -> repeat from 1's and 0's -> mastering -> final bounce -> your speakers -> your ears

I think that about sums it up. Right? Or am I just being silly?

DAW does not affect tone. That has been proven a bunch of times.

Stereo out is a choice. Usually a bad one unless you're referring to multiple mono tracks.

You're being silly about a few other elements but I'll let it be for now.

pfft, you forgot to mention the computer used, room and air again each time the sound is coming out of the speakers. Also room furniture, gear location in the room, body mass, clothes worn, etc.

You obviously need to include more elaborate details on all the biological and psychological processes involved in all of the tweaking, mixing, mastering, etc. I mean how else could one understand tone?