Guitar tone help

KeithReyn

Members Only Member
Apr 1, 2008
Osceola Mills, PA
hey everyone,
I have the line 6 gearbox that came with my UX1, Amplitube 2, revalver mkii, & Guitar Rig 2. Im having a tough time getting a good tone. atleast one that comparable to what im hearing other people getting. can someone point me in the right direction? thanks in advance! any help is greatly appreciated.

okay...
1)take the tone port and put it back in the box... you won`t need it

2) uninstall all audio software

3) down load cool edit pro and fruity loops

4) bust out your old metal zone pedal

5) get one of those adapters that converts 1/4 " to the tiny one (lol)

6) plug your metal zone into the back of your pc

7) create a shitty beat on fruity loops and import it into cool edit

8) strike an open E and listen to the beautiful tone that comes out of your shitty computer speakers!!!!!!!!!

hey everyone,
I have the line 6 gearbox that came with my UX1, Amplitube 2, revalver mkii, & Guitar Rig 2. Im having a tough time getting a good tone. atleast one that comparable to what im hearing other people getting. can someone point me in the right direction? thanks in advance! any help is greatly appreciated.

For the sake of actually being helpful to someone who is obviously new at this I'd suggest downloading a VST called KeFir, which enables you to run Cab Impulses with your software (just make sure that you turn off all cab emulation on your chosen amp sim). Then have a root around using the search button for Impulses, Guitarhack uploaded some really good ones.

-Set up 2 tracks for recording and have your amp sim and Kefir as Inserts with an impulse loaded up.

-Record 2 separate takes and pan them 100% L and 100% R. (If you are up to it, try recording 4 in total and have the other two at 80% either side).

-Open up a VST EQ plugin and set a Hipass Filter @ 60-80Hz and a Lowpass filter @ 12000hz

-Fizz usually lurks in the high mids, I always hunt around 2-3000hz and cut where necessary. A lot of EQ technique is just trial and error. Boost a frequency by +8db or so and then just sweep back and forth, pinpointing any fizzy or hissy spots, once found then cut them back a bit. Personally I like fairly wide Q's as it will sound more natural and try to avoid cutting and boosting by anything more than 3.5-4db if possible, at least thats my method.

Getting 90% of the way to a good rhythm tone isn't that hard provided your gear is all sound, its the last 10%, the polish that makes it really stand out, thats the hard part

I found this site really helpful for learning the basics:

http://noise101.wikidot.com/

Check the Interview with Andy on there and also the EQ guide is really helpful.

thanks to the first 2 guys for whatever that was. haha.

to gorath23- thanks for the suggestions, ill try them tonight. i do use voxengo boogex for impulses. i DLed a few of them to try out, much better than cab sims i must say. but i will try your other suggestions. thanks so much!!!!

Personally I don't like Boogex for Impulses, you don't have EQ knobs on your cab or power amp so why would you want them on your Impulse host. Kefir seems tailor made for hosting a power-amp/Cab impulses: a mix knob (100%, always) and a level.