Guitar tone / overall sound

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hi

I'm mixing this project now and I feel I'm not able to make these guitars sound good. To me they sound like they have a very unpleasant boost in the 700-800hz range making them flat. I'm also fighting with the right amount of high-end. They're either too aggressive or dull and blurry.

Maybe the problem lies else where? But I would like to get some feedback on the guitar tone as well as the overall mix.

On the guitars buss, I switched between two VCC modes in this clip. The first part is RC-tube, the second one is Brit4K (a bit better to my ears). FG-X for a decent output level: http://we.tl/gypt65cn9s

Really? Damn I gotta check my ears then because it sounds like super dull and not well balanced at all to me. Thanks a lot for listening man :)

Sounds pretty great. Don't be too critical. I know I'm my own worst critic when it comes to tones as well. Although i've yet to upgrade my interface so i'll see then. Keep it up.

The heavier guitars could use a bit of presence around 4k. Sometimes I try to go by the cab sim settings on tube amps which hi pass quite a bit, boost around 350Hz and 2700Hz and THEN decide what's going on. I usually go through the typical 80, 240, 750, 2200, 6600 frequencies from there bc I remember how I used to use them on Mesa Boogie amps. If you cut 750, then you raise 240 & 2200 (and drop 80 and 6600). I mean, for starters.

I love the clean/slightly overdriven parts. Great tone.

Your boxiness problem that you assume is around 800 may even need a 350 cut. It's sometimes as simple as doing the opposite.