Guitars low mids tightness

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
How do you achieve that ?

IMO I'd say it's a combination of :
- finding the sweet spot for the 57, it seems to be the most important thing...
- dialing the good tone on the amp (avoiding too much lows or not enough mids)
- dialing the good tubescreamer settings when using one (more drive if you need a tighter sound in the lows)
- having the guitarist to hit his fucking strings ! :headbang:

Then maybe a C4 compressor on each individual track can help.

Do you go in a particular way to achieve this ? Like comparing your guitars with a raw sample from M. Sneap ? Like beginning with the 57 straight on the middle of the speaker and moving it a tiny bit on one side, then record, then go back... ?
Please share ! :kickass:

I agree on:
- finding the sweet spot for the 57, it seems to be the most important thing...
- dialing the good tone on the amp (avoiding too much lows or not enough mids)
And:
- having the guitarist to hit his fucking strings !

I NEVER compress my guitars, it just makes the tone "floppy".

Edit: Oh, and in a mix, I usually use a basstrack with alot of low mids, to fill out even more.

yeah, what you mentioned is quite the deal. I also found the pickup height to the strings VERY important to the resulting tightness. as well as the strings being used. as well as the pick being used. as well as how old the strings are. as well as WHERE I pick. you get it :p

as for the process. I always record, make a pause and come back later to judge with fresh ears, and yes, comparing to other tones as well if there's a chance to do so.
I do this for as long as I'm pleased with the outcome.

yeah, what you mentioned is quite the deal. I also found the pickup height to the strings VERY important to the resulting tightness. as well as the strings being used. as well as the pick being used. as well as how old the strings are. as well as WHERE I pick. you get it :p

I totaly agree on that pickup and where to hit part too, but I think the strings should be brand new when you record. ;)
I'm REALLY picky about pickup height.. If its not perfect on a guitar, the guitar just feels wrong when I play on it(Because of dynamics etc.).

I always have the part of the pickup by the thinner strings a bit higher, so this is what my current adjustment of my bridge pickup is like:
Thin E = 3,5mm from the string.
Fat E = 5mm from the string.

the biggest improvement in tone i ever got was a result of buying a nicer guitar. everything else I tried would yield "different" but not better results.

no "goto" way to do it here.

whatever sounds good...sometimes just 1 sm57, sometimes combined with other mics.
mic's not always in the same position....

there really is no "standard" or so.

but you guys are right, the player is really important.

and, I'm repeating myself, but: TRY Pickboy ST-4 Stonepicks!

In priority order:

1) Amazing player: Do I really need to tell you why? You can't make a tart from a turd
2) Guitar tone: If the gear sounds good, it sounds good. It doesn't matter does it read Metal Zone or 5150 in the distortion unit as long as it sounds good and fits the music. Just make it sound stellar. The amp should sound awesome in the room already and you have a good starting point
3) Mic placement: When you have your ultimate tone, just get a good mic or three that translates well in the control room too (Fuck the phasing, you will listen to them only one at a time anyway). SM57 is always a sure choise, but try for example a large diaphram condeser little further away at your ear height where it sounds the best in your ears, etc. Then record a short clip and listen. If its almost but not quite there, move the mic a little until satisfied.
4) Don't forget to never satisfy with semi-good takes, they must be as top notch as possible

4) Don't forget to never satisfy with semi-good takes, they must be as top notch as possible

I both agree and disagree here, and I know that I will be bashed/flamed because of this:

I think you should keep the recordings quite true to the reality.
Of course some sloppy shitty takes that are completely out of time/pitch goes in the trash bin, but if its just a little bit, i think it sounds smoother / more natural.

Just like I got thought in my drawing lessons: There are no straight lines in nature.

Translate that to music and you have my concept of tracking music.
It shouldn't be perfect, but it should be bad either, its a delicate balance to find what feels natural.

The IIIs can get a bit annoying on intense rhythm playing, but there is something about the minimalistic nature of such a small pick that makes you feel like you are one step closer to your guitar. Like your interface to it is more direct and you have more control.

Yeah, I have noticed that - the main issue I have is I feel like I'm playing as much with my thumb as the pick, I like to really dig in, though I guess I could get used to the jazz thing if the spirit moved me

I use Vic Firth Extreme 5A

VICFIRTH5AAMERICANCLASSIC.jpg