Gym near the venue

evildw

New Metal Member
Mar 1, 2013
I need to find a descent gym near the venue (something with free weights). Anybody have any suggestions?

The nearest gym that I know of in the area is an L.A. Fitness located at 261 19th St NW. Most of the hotels in the area have fitness rooms, but if you're looking to get a good free weight workout, L.A. fitness is probably your only option close to the venue.

Personally, the week of ProgPower is the only week that I take off from the gym each year. I simply don't see how there's time to fit it in between the drive down to Atlanta and back, watching all of the performances, and all of the socializing. Any time I have left beyond those activities is spent either eating or sleeping, the latter of which being a high commodity for me.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I need to find a descent gym near the venue (something with free weights). Anybody have any suggestions?

I respect your commitment to working out (and I definitely have to figure out how to get myself more motivated and get in better shape)... but exactly how much free time do you anticipate having during ProgPower? :)

There's that time between Friday night and Saturday at 12 that I'm sure serves as recovery/sleep in time for most festival goers. I normally go running that morning to wake up.

Not all of us stay up all hours and some of us actually wake up before noon. Typically I'd get up in the morning and run around Piedmont Park.

I haven't looked this year, but in previous years I haven't found a good option (short of going downtown to the Gold's). I tend to just use the hotel gym. It allows me to hit what I want to hit, albeit not effectively as I'd like.

In case y'all weren't aware, there's also an LA Fitness across the interstate bridge behind the venue at Atlantic Station. You could take the free shuttle there. It's at 261 19th Street - near the movie theater.

There's also a CrossFit gym near the venue (walking distance!) at 1210 Spring St. - located between 14th & 16th Streets - next door to the Improv Theater & just down the street from the 14th Street Shell station.

And there's an Anytime Fitness gym at 1375 Peachtree St. (walking distance from venue!) - located up the hill in front of the venue toward the Residence Inn, and to your left.

Also, there's a gym called Fitness 1440 at Colony Square (also walking distance!) at 197 Peachtree St NE #513. It's across the street from TAP gastropub, and near the Moe's and Chick-fil-A.

Here's a map

Hope that helps!

~Jen

Thanks for the information. Usually I could use that week for a deload but my wife and her family surprised me with a trip to Cancun (try finding a descent gym there...) the week before. Since I'll be up in Atlanta for most the week, figured I could get a few lifts in so I don't miss to much time away especially since all the festivities don't start until after lunch on Thursday and Friday.

Thanks for the information. Usually I could use that week for a deload but my wife and her family surprised me with a trip to Cancun (try finding a descent gym there...) the week before. Since I'll be up in Atlanta for most the week, figured I could get a few lifts in so I don't miss to much time away especially since all the festivities don't start until after lunch on Thursday and Friday.

You mean Wednesday evening! :)

Mid-week Mayhem Show.

Also, there's a gym called Fitness 1440 at Colony Square (also walking distance!) at 197 Peachtree St NE #513. It's across the street from TAP gastropub, and near the Moe's and Chick-fil-A.

I'm pretty sure I'd get drawn away by TAP, Moe's, or Chick-fil-A and never even make it to the gym. Most likely all 3! :)

Hey, Greg,

See post #2.

Actually, I had no clue about the other options that Jen provided. Those are pretty sweet! That gal is indeed on top of things.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Greg,

I totally commend you and all the others who fit exercise into this trip. I wish I had that discipline! I guess it helps that I don't partake in the boozing. Then again, I probably drink just about as much Coke while I'm down there (damn Atlanta and its lack of Pepsi!)!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

In hotel room, 3 rounds of the following PPUSA workout I just came up with:

15 decline push-ups
50 mountain climbers
5 turkish get-ups with a gallon of bottled water each arm
1 minute chair step-ups
1 minute plank
30 seconds arm swings with gallon of water each arm

DONE...right on time for kick-off band, no more time for anything else...

Next day, invert the work-out, same deal. :):):) Way more efficient than making time to go to a filthy gym (LA Fitness sucks BTW), looking for the other 50-lb dumbbell that someone did not have the decency to put in its rightful place (I am telling you, LA Fitness sucks), taking more time than you intended to while doing inefficient cardio, coming back to the hotel to take a shower, etc, etc. All while being nervous you are going to miss one ounce of the festivities. Unless you are a bodybuilder of course and then by all means, go to LA Fitness.

PS: In Cancun, switch a couple of exercises and get your 20 minutes of exercise in the hotel room before the beach, so your wife sees you all pumped up as well. Two, 3, 4 birds with one stone.