Halford hunched over and Rising in the East

As both a Metal Guitarist and Physician, maybe I can help.

Bending over (spinal flexion) has been shown to increase lung volume at the lower extreme of Vital Capacity. Vital capacity is the maximum amount of air a person can expel from the lungs after a maximum inhalation. So basically Halford's bending over results in being able to expel more air when signing. Flextion also approximates the diaphragm closer to the iliac crests (pelvic bones) which means it is easier to increase intra abdominal pressure in this position, which further facilitates maximum amount of air expelled.

So in a nutshell ... Halford's posture allows him to sing increasingly with more force, which unfortunately becomes more necessary with age.

Bottom line ... He still sounds great!!

Joey Lodes
Maelstrom

I must say that for digging an old thread, this has to be hands down one of the best posts I have ever seen.

Welcome to the den of iniquity.

Joey, interesting post! As a singer, I've never heard of hunching over when singing. Wouldn't standing up straight open your lungs and diaphragm better? Just kind of trying it at home right now, my muscles feel more "restricted" hunched over trying to sing versus an 'operatic stance' with my stomach pushed out. I'm not trying to come at this as an "I know best" sort of thing, just genuine curiosity. It's not every day a physician comes to this board!

In regards to the DVD, yeah Halford sounds pretty bad. I think he sounded better on the 2009 British Steel live DVD. I saw them live in the summer of '05 and Halford sounded a lot better. I will say this though: like Dio and many other aging singers, I think he still does quite well. I'm just glad they're still touring and performing. Even new mediocre Priest is preferable to nothing else ever being released by them in my book.

Also, a song like Painkiller, most singers can't do that song justice on their best day (myself included), nevermind Halford at now over 60 years old!

I think the one thing being a singer has taught me is that your voice is a night-by-night thing. Maybe the night before the DVD Halford slept poorly because of excess noise from the bus? Was he sick? I can't tell you how often I've done shows and your voice just won't act the way it should. When then happens, it really screws you up because on the fly you've got to rework melodies and harmonies and figure out new ways to approach the material while still sounding decent.

Thanks Wyvern and Thanks Hawk

Poundingmetal74,

You're definitely right about upright posture being the best for normal lung performance. But after we get too many birthdays and lung elasticity starts to fade and the diaphragm start to weaken, then someone trying to maintain the same amount of force and power they've had may have to start compromising that normal posture. This isnt always the case, i mean look at tony bennett, the guy is 80 and still croons like sinatra, but he doesnt have to belt out "painkiller" or "victim of changes" night after night. Halfords voice was a totally different animal to begin with over 40 years ago, and now with him in his 60's, the fact that he can somehow maintain that voice after all these years is incredible.

Joey, interesting post! As a singer, I've never heard of hunching over when singing. Wouldn't standing up straight open your lungs and diaphragm better? Just kind of trying it at home right now, my muscles feel more "restricted" hunched over trying to sing versus an 'operatic stance' with my stomach pushed out. I'm not trying to come at this as an "I know best" sort of thing, just genuine curiosity. It's not every day a physician comes to this board!

In regards to the DVD, yeah Halford sounds pretty bad. I think he sounded better on the 2009 British Steel live DVD. I saw them live in the summer of '05 and Halford sounded a lot better. I will say this though: like Dio and many other aging singers, I think he still does quite well. I'm just glad they're still touring and performing. Even new mediocre Priest is preferable to nothing else ever being released by them in my book.

Also, a song like Painkiller, most singers can't do that song justice on their best day (myself included), nevermind Halford at now over 60 years old!

I think the one thing being a singer has taught me is that your voice is a night-by-night thing. Maybe the night before the DVD Halford slept poorly because of excess noise from the bus? Was he sick? I can't tell you how often I've done shows and your voice just won't act the way it should. When then happens, it really screws you up because on the fly you've got to rework melodies and harmonies and figure out new ways to approach the material while still sounding decent.

watch the dvd again. on the easier to sing songs halfrd isn't as hunched over. its the harder/higher stuff he starts doing that. i never knew why until joeylodes made his post but i had a feeling it had something to do with forcing more air out to sing the higher stuff. as a singer myself, and you should know too, the higher the note the more air you need to expel. basically halford is acting like a human chimney air pump thing. that thing back in the day you would put in a fire when it started to die that looked a little like an accordion and pump more air in to get the fire going.