Halford - Made of Metal

It sucks. And yes, it is fact that it is nowhere near Resurrection in terms of quality or content. You yourself said that you have never heard all of Resurrection, so you can't compare the two. It's like comparing apples and gorillas.

I meant to say not heard in an eternity not "internity" which is a typo I made. I have the cd and am fully aware that it rules but I haven't heard it in a long time like I said. Sorry you misunderstood that point. As for my comparison I was merely saying that the album is closer to Resurrection than Crucible although The Mower sounds like it could have been on Crucible most of the other songs are closer in feel to Resurrection although obviously far far inferior in your opinion. As for the new one sucking well you are entitled to your opinion and you are voicing it vehemently and rather over bearingly if I may say, like your word is the be all and end all and that anyone who likes this shitfest must be tone deaf or somethng.

Of course I should let it go as it's just an opinion but I must defend the album a little. I think the album has a lot of great vocal melodies from Halford that maybe you are underestimating or hating on without due cause. The metal part of the album is not in your face apart from The Mower which is definitely in your face, but the other songs are mainly softer and much more melodic. I guess we have different taste when it comes to hearing melody as well. Let me say this I don't give two fucks about heaviness in the music that I like. If it's heavy fine, if it's not then fine which is the reason why I like AOR so much. This is why I think The Mower is by far the worst song on the album cause it doesn't have a vocal melody of note, not that I live or die by vocal melody in my metal but it's usually the first thing I look for in an album that has proper clean singing. I just like melodies to be catchy to my ear and Rob's melodies ARE very catchy on this album.

After watching sed video, (below), the NASCAR theme doesn't seem so bad. He's trying to gain market share somehow I guess. I works for me because I like NASCAR.

Though a little corny, for some reason I find the video to be .... AWESOME and the song kick ass.

The video shows an alien, (after stealing the American flag from the moon), landing at DAYTONA SPEEDWAY disguised as a NASCAR that proceeds to bump and crash his way to victory all the while listening to the HALFORD song MADE OF METAL via hundreds of speakers pumping in his car... lol absolutely hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to listening to this. Sorry Brent, but I don't think the album sucks. However, having said that it isn't great either. I like most of the songs on here, but that's just it. I like them but I think the album as a whole doesn't work for me and it just comes out being okay. There are a couple problems with the album and why I have that feeling.

1. While I really do admire the man for changing things up stylistically, there is no cohesiveness found on the album. It's one thing for a band like Therion, DSO or other various bands to change it up every other song, but this just doesn't work for Halford. It ends up being very inconsistent, which brings me to

2. He should have cut down the amount of songs and utilized most of the songs with a consistent sound with maybe a song or two that strayed. 25 years, Matador, 'Till the Day I Die and The Mower off the top of my head are very different stylistically than the rest of the album. In fact, while Mower is probably my favorite song on the album it is sooooooooooooo much heavier that it really shouldn't have been included on the album period! It does not fit and would've made more sense for a bonus track on the recently remastered version of Crucible. Bottom line? There is no consistency here and that doesn't work for a Halford album.

3. What the fuck is up with the production?!!! I'm not usually an audiophile, but this is really flat sounding to me. Usually Roy Z's productions sound big and bold, but I find the guitars and even Halford's voice at times sounding thin. No, this has nothing to do with how melodic the album is because even the heavier parts don't have that punch to it. Is it just me or does the production have something off about it?

4. The problem with this disc is there just isn't anything spectacular. Resurrection and Crucible both had songs that had that "it" factor and I would like to hear songs live from. This honestly, there is no stand outs and no songs I really have any desire to hear live. 5. Hell Razor and Made of Metal just fucking suck! Hell Razor in particular is a bad written song and might just have Halford's worst in-studio vocal performance. Did he seriously listen to it back after he recorded it? He sounds awful on it. Made of Metal still to me just sounds lame. I don't like the effects with the vocals and for a song that has fucking metal in the song it just doesn't sound heavy to me whatsoever. Putting Nascar in the lyrics is bad too. The rest of the lyrics I don't mind but yeah. I know he changed up the lyrics once he saw the video but still...why have product placement in your song? 6. Lyrics. I see what people are saying, though I would say overall it doesn't bother me. The only two times I'm bothered by it is in the first song in the chorus with "world heavyweight champion" and as I previously said in "Made of Metal" when he's talking about Nascar. The rest of it doesn't bother me. He makes the lyrics sound better than they are like he usually does. Topically, should he have had a song about a Matador? Probably not but I'll be honest and say I think it sounds cool.

Now, having said that I like most of the songs. This will definitely get repeat listens and will probably grow on me too. I don't see that happening with Made of Metal and Hell Razor though. They just suck. Halford has some excellent vocals on this disc and the guitar riffs and solos are pretty solid too, despite the shabby production. Like I said though, it just doesn't grab me as it should since he's my favorite musician I am rather underwhelmed but it isn't awful.

I'm going to agree that this disc does NOT compare to anything good that Halford has put out. While I hate to say that it sucks...it sucks. I also thought that Nostradamus sucked...stylistic departure, lousy concept, etc..

Its sad to think that its over, but it just seems that all of the recent material just sags.