Halfstack isn't loud at all (help!!)

Mattbrownn

New Metal Member
Mar 13, 2011
I bought this halfstack awhile ago,I was uneducated about amps,still am.but i got it for a low price. Crate head, ampeq cab. cab says

power handling:200w
Impedance:16 ohms

head says

90 watts rms
2 ohms min. load

help please:/ it isnt loud at all. I have no idea what to do, it can barely be heard over drums

The 5150 is well known as a great workhorse gig amp for modern high gain tones. It should do fine. That cabinet may need replacing down the road though. You probably already know this.

how would a 5150 sound with this?my friend from another state is selling his

I would get it. The 5150 is the tried and true workhorse and the go to amp for about 90% of all metal albums ever produced. If you can name a metal band of the past 20 years, I guarantee you its a 5150.

Its 120 watts of tube power and has impedance settings up to 4 ohms so regardless of your cab, you have 120 Watts of power always. That is equivilent in loudness and cut in a band evniornment to a 300 watt+ solid state. They are loud as fuck.

+1 on the upgrading cabinets. If you are on a budget, check out Avatar if you are in the US or Harley Benton if you are in AU or EU, definitely save up for one if you can.

And since its obvious that you are a noob, do invest in an Overdrive pedal and thank me later. Check this page, it's full of useful information regarding OD pedals. If you have any questions about anything in this thread feel free to PM me or add me on MSN which is in my avatar.

Speaking of Avartars (pun intended):

DSCN9255.JPG

They sound as good as they look.

Here is that setup mic'd with a single 57, on axis at the edge of the cone, high pass filter and low pass filter at 61.8Hz and 12KHz respectfully (to clean up noise), other than that no post processing.

Last edited by a moderator: