Halp with bass tone

NoSoup4you22

Keep on blorpin'
Feb 16, 2010
Minnesota, USA
www.myspace.com
Hey, I'm trying to wrap some things up on this CD I'm working on before we do vocals... I have a few questions about bass tone, but also this one song in particular.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6097696/05 - Dogma.mp3

For the record, I'm a relative noob at production. Haven't worked on it as much as I should, compared to composition and performance. Also, I haven't tested this mix on proper monitors. Anyway...

1) The bass in general... Probably too loud right? Maybe too clicky on the faster chugs? Anything I can do with the EQ/comp to make it always audible, but not too loud? I haven't done a lot of processing so far, just the DI with Waves C4. On the bass solo in the middle, I added a couple 20/30ms delays left and right for some stereo spread, and some Waves L2 so I could bring it out front more. Probably a bad idea. Hrmm.

2) Chorus at 1:59 - Are the keyboards too quiet for you, or just right?

3) Bass solo at 3:03 - the backing clean guitars/keyboards - are they atmospheric enough? Can you make out the organ on your speakers? Can you make out all of the bass? Anything I should do to improve the atmosphere or make more room for the bass?

4) Outro at 5:40 - Again, does this part achieve the atmosphere I was going for? Can you make out the panning step sequencer envelope thing? Can you make out the subtle higher synth chord that fades in? Does it take too long to fade out or stop holding your interest?

That's all I've got for now... Really wanna put this project behind me and work on some new stuff, more properly. I'm sure I'll have all sorts of questions about producing vocals too, lol.

Hey, I'm trying to wrap some things up on this CD I'm working on before we do vocals... I have a few questions about bass tone, but also this one song in particular.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6097696/05 - Dogma.mp3

For the record, I'm a relative noob at production. Haven't worked on it as much as I should, compared to composition and performance. Also, I haven't tested this mix on proper monitors. Anyway...

1) The bass in general... Probably too loud right? Maybe too clicky on the faster chugs? Anything I can do with the EQ/comp to make it always audible, but not too loud? I haven't done a lot of processing so far, just the DI with Waves C4. On the bass solo in the middle, I added a couple 20/30ms delays left and right for some stereo spread, and some Waves L2 so I could bring it out front more. Probably a bad idea. Hrmm.

2) Chorus at 1:59 - Are the keyboards too quiet for you, or just right?

3) Bass solo at 3:03 - the backing clean guitars/keyboards - are they atmospheric enough? Can you make out the organ on your speakers? Can you make out all of the bass? Anything I should do to improve the atmosphere or make more room for the bass?

4) Outro at 5:40 - Again, does this part achieve the atmosphere I was going for? Can you make out the panning step sequencer envelope thing? Can you make out the subtle higher synth chord that fades in? Does it take too long to fade out or stop holding your interest?

That's all I've got for now... Really wanna put this project behind me and work on some new stuff, more properly. I'm sure I'll have all sorts of questions about producing vocals too, lol.

good bass tone for me :)
what do you used for get this tone (bass used, ampli, head, soundcard, plugins) ?:headbang:
sorry for my english