Halp with levels issue/glitch/BS

Dec 29, 2010
Colorado
Whatever the case may be I'm having issues that I'm tired of working around and am seeking a permanent resolution. So right from the get go I load up SSD into Cubase 5. I get my midi situated and everything super roughly mixed. Then I flip on the Axe fx and prepare to start tracking guitars. I make sure the signal out of the axe isn't clipping and find out that my guitars are WAAAAY louder than my drums. So I take the level down on the axe and hit record. I then hit playback and for whatever strange reason, the Wav I just recorded is clipping beyond insanely in my daw. So I start pulling the level down on the wav until its even with the drums. Which ends up being like -20 to -25 db. So I shrug it off and hit record again for the second track and it's obviously over powering the previous track so I can't hear it while tracking the new one. Which causes issues as well. I'm tired of fighting with this shit.

So what I take away from all this is as follows. My drums for some reason are way too quiet when I load them up. I don't expect them to final master volume right out of the gate but having to lower 4 guitar tracks to -25 db obviously must mean they are really damn low. Second, either my axe is lying to me or my daw is about levels because I record with my axe at roughly the same drum volume but then I hit playback and my speakers nearly implode from the volume and clipping.

Idk if anyone has any clue here but it's getting to be a headache.

Excuse the tower of text but I'm trying to explain this all in a helpful amount of detail.

By the way it might be useful to mention that I'm using my axe fx 2 as my interface.