Hank Williams Sr.

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
1004hankwilliams_orig.jpg

In this thread, discuss the greatness of Hank Sr. Along with Johnny Cash, he is the greatest country performer ever. He wrote some great songs, and really put heart in emotion in the lyrics. The music was great and catchy. He was the ultimate "live fast, die young" person, dying at the young age of 29!

Johnny Cash and Hank Williams Sr. were GG Allins two biggest influences believe it or not....Hank Jr.'s cool too.

Sr, had a bad drinking problem though...died of alcohol poisoning in the back seat of a car.

But, fortunately he left a lot of good music for people to remember him and be inspired by....so that's definately cool.

You guys are speakin' my language!!! Hank Sr. and Cash are two of my favorite artists of all time. I dunno how old y'all are, but I'm 30 and grew up with my dad crankin' both of those guy's stuff as a kid. I learned to play guitar to the old Cash records and then got into metal (KISS, OZZY, Motley, etc.) at about age 12...great stuff. I also love BOCEPHUS and all real country. Here are a couple more greats:
Steve Earle
Dwight Yoakam - he may be a bit of a pretty boy but his music is real
Lyle Lovett - country? I dunno...cool? hell yeah
WILLIE NELSON
WAYLON JENNINGS
GEORGE JONES
ROGER MILLER

great thread! Great music!

Incidentally, Johnny's most recent album "the Man Comes Around" is excellent! Does a killer version of Desperado w/ Don Henley.

tedvanfrehley said:
You guys are speakin' my language!!! Hank Sr. and Cash are two of my favorite artists of all time. I dunno how old y'all are, but I'm 30 and grew up with my dad crankin' both of those guy's stuff as a kid. I learned to play guitar to the old Cash records and then got into metal (KISS, OZZY, Motley, etc.) at about age 12...great stuff. I also love BOCEPHUS and all real country. Here are a couple more greats:
Steve Earle
Dwight Yoakam - he may be a bit of a pretty boy but his music is real
Lyle Lovett - country? I dunno...cool? hell yeah
WILLIE NELSON
WAYLON JENNINGS
GEORGE JONES
ROGER MILLER

great thread! Great music!

Incidentally, Johnny's most recent album "the Man Comes Around" is excellent! Does a killer version of Desperado w/ Don Henley.
Hell yeah! Those are all awesome artists you listed, especially Lovett and Yoakam. Both are highly underrated.

Cryptkeeper you are a great man with balls as big as churchbells to mention Hank in the metal world! haha You should say hello to us in the OLD SCHOOL forum!!! We could use some good blood like you! Same goes for all y'all! Don't let your long hair cover up your red neck! haha DAVID ALLAN COE!
Come say howdy!
Ted

tedvanfrehley said:
Cryptkeeper you are a great man with balls as big as churchbells to mention Hank in the metal world! haha You should say hello to us in the OLD SCHOOL forum!!! We could use some good blood like you! Same goes for all y'all! Don't let your long hair cover up your red neck! haha DAVID ALLAN COE!
Come say howdy!
Ted
Thanks! I've always expressed my love for Hank. I love wearing my Hank Sr. shirt. David Allen Coe is AWESOME! "Long haired, redneck, rock 'n roll son of the South!

Hank Williams is one of history's great songwriters. His down home, simple, honest approach is sheer brilliance. He defined country music by tellin' it to us straigt and wearing his heart on his sleeve.

Modern mainstream country is loosing that connection. It's a damn shame. I'm not looking forward to the rap/country fad on the horizon.

My Dad loves Hank, but he can't stand Jr. I think that he's unfairly comparing them.

metu said:
Modern mainstream country is loosing that connection. It's a damn shame. I'm not looking forward to the rap/country fad on the horizon.
Modern country is loosing that connection. It's a good thing that there is a country underground where real country can be heard. Hank Williams III is leading the true country movement, and he's doing a great job of it.

HW III's also in SJR...;)

Johnny Cash is the man. Not just the man in black, but the man. "Ring Of Fire" is one of my favorite songs EVAR.

Also: Merle Haggard, George Jones, Mel Tillis, Kenny Rogers, Dwight Yoakam, Alan Jackson, George Strait, Randy Travis, Brad Paisley, and any and all neo-traditionalists.

As far as country losing its roots, that's true. However, for every Big & Rich or Rascal Flatts there's a Dierks Bentley. For every Martina McBride there's a Sara Evans or Gretchen Wilson.

Y'all might do good ta brace yurselvs fer wutscyumin. Country and rap are coming together and it's only a matter of time. Whenever I remind my Dad of that inevitabilaty, he winces. I try to explain to him that there's a mainstream rap and an outlaw rap just like in country and that there's no differense between the angle of approach. Outlaws pioneered, but rhinestones prevailed.

I forget the name of that song, but I think it was Tobi Kieth and he's singing something like "it's all about me." It's the same thing. The market rules. If you sell the image of a happy lifestyle brought about by the accumulation of selfish material wealth, the market can use you.

As far as personal connection is conserned... how heart-wrenching is that last set by Johnny Cash? That may be the most personal outro I've ever heard. Actually, it may be the most personal singing I've ever heard. He really laid it on the line for what he surely knew would be his last.

'Country' was the original 'pop', simple music for simple people, like I said a while ago. Johnny Cash was a god, but the last 3/4 century of country music is simple-minded and irrelevant. Listen to folk, country's more inspired counterpart.

The Grimace said:
'Country' was the original 'pop', simple music for simple people, like I said a while ago. Johnny Cash was a god, but the last 3/4 century of country music is simple-minded and irrelevant. Listen to folk, country's more inspired counterpart.

You beat me to the punch. I considered Cash to be as much Folk as he was Country. Lightfoot had a country hit in "Sundown" but I don't think many would consider "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" country. My point is that there have been many crossovers in folk music like Denver, Neil Young etc. but some artists who have hit the mainstream in different genres have been folk artists as well at least at some point in their life.

Bryant

Billboard_ad.JPG

metu said:
Where can we learn about the new country underground?

Here's a link to "No Depression" magazine's website: No Depression . "No Depression" is a print zine that is considered by many to be THE bible for underground country.

They are not traditional country by any means, but I want to recommend Sixteen Horsepower. One of my favorite bands of any genre, they are like a very strange mixture of Johnny Cash, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and Edgar Allan Poe's "Fall of the House of Usher."

"I don't care for fancy music if your shoes can't shuffle around" - RVZ

Thanks Ruthven, I'll look into that.

I remember seeing a guitarist, I think his name was Devin Townsend, who played some very mean country blues.