Hardwired...To Self Destruct production

For shits and giggles, here's a sample of my "fix that shit" mastering that allowed me to listen to the songs without paying attention to the sound.

It's definitely a bit easier on the ears. In saying that I think Hardwired is the worst mix on the whole album, the cymbals and snare sound a bit smashed and too sizzly in the original mix and it just sounds mushy overall. In fact if I were to cut the album down to 8 tracks then 'Hardwired' wouldn't be on it.

I still don't think the rest of the album is too bad. Moth Into Flame sounds ok but the riffs just don't sparkle due to that boxy guitar tone.

I'd kill for vocal, bass and guitar DI tracks to be released. I'd just figure out the tempos and do my own drum lines and I think even running the guitars through a Lepou sim and a decent impulse would be better than what's on the album.

Yeah, the guitar tone is a joke for the gear and talent at their disposal. It's undergained and "farty", almost, it's hard to adequately describe my issue with it. The kick and snare are definitely way too loud, and neither sound good enough for the volume they're at. If some high-end was shaved off it would be acceptable, but as it is it's far too bright and dry. The bass is acceptable, probably could be louder in a few places though. Kirk merely exists, his solos are produced fine but mostly unremarkable.

For the band that made TBA, the Loads, and Garage, Inc., with all the money and time in the world, the production is kind of ridiculous. Borderline amateur-hour, like a bedroom guy who has finally figured out how to get an acceptable mix. I really wish Staub would mix them again, or at least someone who can get a crushing sound. There's no need for them to try to follow current metal trends, but FUCK, this and Death Magnetic are so bad compared to what their contemporaries are pulling off with far less budget.