Has anyone ever done a power amp shootout?

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has done a shootout (informal or otherwise) of various power amps, whether built into amp heads or standalone; I've never really known how much coloration they give to your average high gain preamp (Rectifiers in modern mode being the obvious exception, with their lack of negative feedback, maybe other amps use this design too?), and I'd be interested to hear the same preamp (either the FX send from an amp or a standalone one, whether digital or t00b) through multiple power amps, both tube and solid state (MosFET, in particular), colored and clean, to hear the tonal differences for a live rack rig

OR, if everyone could just suggest some of the most well-known/regarded power amps (Peavey 50/50, VHT/Fryette 2:50:2 Tubeworks MosValve, Crown whatever, etc.), maybe when I get the money in a couple of years I'll just buy 'em all to do a shootout :D

I did one once between a Rivera TBR3, lee Jackson sp1000, carvin t100 and a behringer ss power amp. Then an Ampeg vl1000 power section.

Rivera had this huge mid bump and smooth high but grainy (had 34s in it...), lee Jackson and carvin were both much more linear compared to the Rivera. The tubes in the carvin are quite used. And the behringer was super harsh, obviously designed to be more hifi of sorts. The Ampeg was super thin and nasally, obviously designed for the Pre amp section of the Ampeg.

Ah, so you have/had a T100 - I've always thought it looked pretty sweet, especially for the price, but part of me thinks it's too good to be true; what were your thoughts?

It's really awesome, mat (other guitarist) still owns it. Has JJ 34's and 6l6's running at the same time in 100watt mode. Sounds fantastic.

I think I prefer it over the sp1000 but I haven't really done enough comparison between them.

Tubes play a huge role here.. EL34s can produce those middle bumps for sure but ofcourse depends on the amp.

Just got my Engl E850/100 in and boy, am I blown away by this behemoth. First thing is that it's probably overkill for any guitarist. This is the loudest thing I have ever played through. Weighs a ton, 8 6L6s, stereo, 2x left channel volumes, 2x right channel volumes, 2x presence dials and 2x depth dials. This has made my E570 even more versatile.

I did a lot of research for a poweramp, and while most suggested a VHT 2x150, those who have owned both the VHT and the Engl, usually ended up with the Engl, no matter what preamp they were using.

I have a mate with a Marshall monoblock, a Soldano poweramp of some sort, a few tubeless versions and a shit load of amps from Soldanos, Mesas, Kranks etc. I could see if he has time for some sought of "shootout" with those and my Engl if he was up to it.

Were you chasing shootouts of amp powersections as well? If so, let us know and I'll run my E570 through all of them, playing the one riff kinda thing. See how we go.

Even though I just recently sold it, the Peavey Classic 50/50 always satisfied me even when I was playing live with a pod. The other guitarist in my band at the time had one of those Hafler-made Bogner Triple Giant preamp remakes and it sounded incredible at high volume through the peavey. It was cheap as well, although I did have to retube it after about a year since I bought it used.

I use a mesa 2:90 which I love. It definitely colors things a good bit, but then again it also has all the rad modes like most of the mesa amps IE: Modern, 1/2 power, and Deep. Although I want to move to the engl poweramp mentioned above.

If anyone has shootouts like Marcus is asking about I would love to hear those also.