has metal playing technique affected how kids learn guitar today?

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
do you think that modern music, whether its pop, rap, alt., etc has been permenantly influenced by the style and technique perfected during the 80s metal surge

since most guitar teachers are younger, and more in touch with modern music, and often metal, do you think they would pass on the metal style of playing even if the student isnt playing metal? whether it be alternate/tremolo picking, effective use of harmonics, metal song structure...
~gR~

I think generally, guitar playing is much sloppier these days. There is also a prominence of bands that play only power chords, or a short trem run as a solo. There are a few exceptions. But ultimately, the punk movement has destroyed musicianship and promoted the "quick-fix" or "instant gratification" style of learning. Add to this the monstrously disgusting success of Nirvana and you can see why the only good musicians left are scattered amongst metal/prog/power metal bands.....imho

I give lessons of guitar to a girl who listen to pop. And Metal is a good way to begin to learn and go further into guitar technics.

I think that it's the attractivness of metal songs and the research (as prog) that make metal a good method to learn guitar.

You must not be very well educated if you honestly think that metal guitar playing was perfected in the 80s. From my experience, it seems that the majority of metal bands at that time were influenced by punk, and exploited the amature guitar techniques previously mentioned in this thread (power chords, etc.) to produce a wave of heavy, fast paced music, with minimal effort, and virtually no emotion.

Personally, I think modern metal has benefitted more from the implementation of classical theory, and classical guitar technique than the influence of older, uneducated metal musicians. Because metal is such a popular style these days, and because it draws its influences from so many different sources, it's no coincidence that the techniques and theory required to produce good modern metal could be used to instruct musicians about other styles.

At the end of the day, people want to learn to play the style of music they listen to.

Some faggoty commercial radio listening cocksucker that wants to learn the latest
hits by blink 182 and jet will probably learn 2 riffs and call himself a genius.

What shits me is the younger people in the metal scene who think there's such thing as metal soloing. there's not. solos are solos. end of story. every solo in metal is influenced by either blues, jazz, or classical music. so the 15 year old atreyu fan who wants to shred is gonna have to learn the basics of guitar playing to do so, and that's where alot of the younger close minded think they know it all rebelling against mum and dad faggot fake metal heads will fall flat on their face, because they are not willing to go near anything that says blues, jazz, or classical music.

just stick to using one finger to play you drop c gay riffs while the rest are up your arse.

Yeah, so many people my age don't know shit. I've been playing for almost a year and I'm probably better than a lot of kids my age who have been playing longer. Just because I play stuff like Blues and Classic Rock when they stick to their easy Sum 41 songs.

I wouldn't say it changed permanently but music is like evolution, when the crap gets crappier, even the people who like crap will stop liking it and then the crap will be dropped and people will listen to better music.

Mainstream Rap (not really rap, its hip-hop) in my opinion wastes lots of money. Rappers get picked up and dropped left and right like Chamillionaire, and Fabolous (the stupid fucker pronounces it "fabulous"). The only rapper who hasn't been dropped yet is TI. And the composers of the songs get all these orchestras and synths and guitar players, and drummers, and its all a waste. Whereas A Mississippi Bluesman from 1937 can sit in a hotel room, record songs with bad sound quality and still remain a legend.

Mainstream is just getting older and older faster and faster. Soon the mainstream will take action and underground bands will be mainstream, it might be happening right now. Def Jam records might be looking for underground artists right now. Well actually all artists in the mainstream started out underground. Theres two different undergrounds. Theres the one that makes up most of the underground that is influenced by the mainstream and is even crappier, but thanks to the electronics of the mainstream engineers some make it in but get dropped fast. And the other underground is influenced by Classic Rock, and Punk and stuff, and they are a lot better. Bands like those are gonna be the next big thing.

And about all the power chord stuff. In my opinion power chords are the best chord, it's the only chord I know of that can fit Rock and Metal and Punk.

I wouldn't know about the young guitar teachers because mine is around 40. He is really good. He's a huge fan of the Blues and Classic Rock. That's basically all he listens to and plays. And after I started taking lessons with him my techniques involved more Blues in them and I listened to more Blues and Classic Rock.

What shits me is the younger people in the metal scene who think there's such thing as metal soloing. there's not. solos are solos. end of story. every solo in metal is influenced by either blues, jazz, or classical music. so the 15 year old atreyu fan who wants to shred is gonna have to learn the basics of guitar playing to do so, and that's where alot of the younger close minded think they know it all rebelling against mum and dad faggot fake metal heads will fall flat on their face, because they are not willing to go near anything that says blues, jazz, or classical music.

just stick to using one finger to play you drop c gay riffs while the rest are up your arse.

Are you serious... i agree with the origin of the solos however to demean someone who plays in drop c because there is worse tunings is ignorant. who are you to down someones playing. its all relative to the passion you put into it. the style of the solo may be blues, jazz, or classical but the solo is metal. the sad part is that you down one certain band... atreyu... i hate them... they are disgusting. however im sure they are individually amazing musicians. and to call anyone a "faggot fake metal heads" makes me wonder if you were picked on allot as a child?
but anyone who is reading this and is just picking up guitar don't be closed minded... and don't down others for their styles or beliefs, its retarded.

I was just saying that alot of the younger kids that i know, that play guitar and listen to what is suppodedly "metal" these days, buy into it for the shock value.

The peircings and eyeliner, because they'll stand out and daddy will notice them.

Because metalcore and screamo and such are kind of mainstream, alot of trend followers jump on the bandwagon, and call themselves metal fans, which happens with every big trend i guess, and they don't even know about bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Testament, or Megadeth. Alot of kids i know say it's not metal because there's no screamo vocals, and that it's old people's music.

It's alot more metal than bands like Atreyu that's for sure. And they try and play what they think is metal and it sucks. There's plenty of times when i've personally tried to explain to people that to be able to play metal, and any style in general, it's helpful to listen to alot of different styles of music, but alot of the kids that i know are just plain ignorant to the fact that metal comes from "Grampa Music" and dismiss it entirely. But it doesn't matter, because as soon as the next trend hits, they'll feel glad that they didn't waste their time actually learning something.

i absolutly agree... it is befounding that i go to a local death metal show and i hear the "allstar" guitarists from the area... being around my age (18) and they throw in a "solo" when really its a quick sweep a squeal and a dive. and i fully agree with the fact that death metal and the millions of other ridiculous sub genres came from "grandpas music" when it is my belief that iron maiden is no oldie metal band... btw fear of the dark is one of my favorites... and not to down judas priest because i am very influenced by them myself... but when rob halford was singing breaking the law... did he realize that sodomy is illegal.

Guitar playing has come along way in past 40 years. All the various influences keep getting built on and then trumped.Eddie did his thing, Ingwie his, Satch his, Petrucci his, now I hear the young generation play like all of them with a new twist of their own. Many of them even more articulate.

I remember when Page was the king, since Eddie he has sounded primitive and his sloppyness became obvious. Not to take away from Jimmy Pages contribution to the music and helping to push the electric guitar into more young hands.

Stevie Ray proved Jimi was not dead and Kenny Wayne showed us Stevie Ray was not the last good blues we'd hear either. Hell, ever see any footage of John Mayer just playin the guitar ? Yea thats right John Mayer, hes been listening and learning and can blast out the Hendrix double stops and blues soul as good as any of them and better than most.

In country music there is hords of pickers that have taken Chet Atkins so much further.

I remeber when Mclaughlin, Morse and DiMeola were jaw dropping, today they have been trumped by players in the progressive metal field as well as other genres.

More younger guys picking up the guitar evey decade, in past decades its more than just likely that most with extreme natural talent and dexterity never even gave it a shot. Today a higher percentage will discover that the guitar is them and we can hear it.

Dont shut the lights out because the pop music rage went to Disco, or Rap, or Grunge because during these times there was still kids sitting down to play guitar music and they have consistantly pushed the barriers a bit further out.

Tecnique is genre and taste related but today I believe the more truely talented young players are paying attention to many diverse influences

Guitar playing has come along way in past 40 years. All the various influences keep getting built on and then trumped.Eddie did his thing, Ingwie his, Satch his, Petrucci his, now I hear the young generation play like all of them with a new twist of their own. Many of them even more articulate.

I remember when Page was the king, since Eddie he has sounded primitive and his sloppyness became obvious. Not to take away from Jimmy Pages contribution to the music and helping to push the electric guitar into more young hands.

Stevie Ray proved Jimi was not dead and Kenny Wayne showed us Stevie Ray was not the last good blues we'd hear either. Hell, ever see any footage of John Mayer just playin the guitar ? Yea thats right John Mayer, hes been listening and learning and can blast out the Hendrix double stops and blues soul as good as any of them and better than most.

In country music there is hords of pickers that have taken Chet Atkins so much further.

I remeber when Mclaughlin, Morse and DiMeola were jaw dropping, today they have been trumped by players in the progressive metal field as well as other genres.

More younger guys picking up the guitar evey decade, in past decades its more than just likely that most with extreme natural talent and dexterity never even gave it a shot. Today a higher percentage will discover that the guitar is them and we can hear it.

Dont shut the lights out because the pop music rage went to Disco, or Rap, or Grunge because during these times there was still kids sitting down to play guitar music and they have consistantly pushed the barriers a bit further out.

Tecnique is genre and taste related but today I believe the more truely talented young players are paying attention to many diverse influences

Both Yngwie and Paul Gilbert had a better technique in their early years than anyone could ever dream of having now. People don't pay as much attention to guitar practice now, and the ones who do, they probably can't even write a decent song.

It's alot more metal than bands like Atreyu that's for sure. And they try and play what they think is metal and it sucks. There's plenty of times when i've personally tried to explain to people that to be able to play metal, and any style in general, it's helpful to listen to alot of different styles of music, but alot of the kids that i know are just plain ignorant to the fact that metal comes from "Grampa Music" and dismiss it entirely. But it doesn't matter, because as soon as the next trend hits, they'll feel glad that they didn't waste their time actually learning something.
Haha, I loved that last sentence :headbang:

I completely agree with the necessity to familiarize yourself with other styles in order to be good at metal. Also, reading various posts around the internet makes me glad that I don't actually know any "scene" kids, because I don't think I could take them seriously. I've heard some of the music that appeals to them however, and I'm so thankful that I discovered melodic metal near the end of high school, because if not for hearing Kalmah's Kill the Idealist on the radio in 11th grade, which clearly illustrated the importance of classical music theory in metal, I'd probably still be one of those uneducated nu-metal fans. I've never really understood the whole scene thing anyway though, as I've always been extremely individually motivated and never cared what my friends dressed like or listened to.

I finally started writing MIDI guitar tabs in college though. I sucked at first, but I took an intro theory course during my sophomore year and have been studying independently ever since, as well as listening to a lot of classical music and symphonic, melodic, and technical metal. Consequently, I actually write good music now and am even a trusted source and instructor for many of my friends who also write. Occasionally, I do meet someone who doesn't understand the relationship between classical theory and metal, but I always just show them my music and explain the theory involved while they listen to it, and they usually come around pretty quickly :lol:

Haha, I loved that last sentence :headbang:

I completely agree with the necessity to familiarize yourself with other styles in order to be good at metal. Also, reading various posts around the internet makes me glad that I don't actually know any "scene" kids, because I don't think I could take them seriously. I've heard some of the music that appeals to them however, and I'm so thankful that I discovered melodic metal near the end of high school, because if not for hearing Kalmah's Kill the Idealist on the radio in 11th grade, which clearly illustrated the importance of classical music theory in metal, I'd probably still be one of those uneducated nu-metal fans. I've never really understood the whole scene thing anyway though, as I've always been extremely individually motivated and never cared what my friends dressed like or listened to.

I finally started writing MIDI guitar tabs in college though. I sucked at first, but I took an intro theory course during my sophomore year and have been studying independently ever since, as well as listening to a lot of classical music and symphonic, melodic, and technical metal. Consequently, I actually write good music now and am even a trusted source and instructor for many of my friends who also write. Occasionally, I do meet someone who doesn't understand the relationship between classical theory and metal, but I always just show them my music and explain the theory involved while they listen to it, and they usually come around pretty quickly :lol:

Yeah i can't understand it. For anyone who reads this and is wondering where the classical influence is in metal, you obviously aren't listening to enough bands to hear it.
I recommend for not only those people, but for all humans to listen to Ozzy Osbourne's Diary Of a Madman album.

Randy Rhoads was a fucking genius, and if you can't hear classical music in that record you're either deaf or fucking stupid.