Has Opeth effected you in any way?

Iove Opeth..I've always been into extreme metal..Opeth offers more depth in thier songwriting, more emotion, more contradictions between soft mellower material and progressive death, doom..Opeth's music is great for a depressing rainy day, melancholy and uplifting..Some of Opeth's music has driven me to tears (MAYH, and Still Life) and others are just epic, (Morning rise, Orchid, BWP)...Opeth takes me on a trip and listining to them is a very personal private thing..Like a soundtrack to your life, not just party music..I love the growls, very emotive and expressive, and the clean vocals are a nice contrast to the beautiful masterpeices Mike and the crew come up with..New Opeth CD Delverance sounds very sensual, but moshpit (lol) freindly..If you wanted heavy Opeth well here it is..Opeth is like falling in love in a graveyard, or staring into a beautiful painting..So many emotions arise when listing to Opeth that it is in essesnce a very personal thing..Nothing like Opeth in the USA (but check ut Agolloch, Vehemence,Thrfing, MDB and other doom bands, Katonia too..!)i'm into varied metal..Thrash, Doom, doom stoner, grind core, Death, Gore grind..However, Opeth is an emotion..Can't wait for an Opeth usa tour..Hails..-l-

Since I'm still digging into Opeth (I only know Morningrise and BWP very well and have listened to the rest of the albums only 3 or 4 times each) here's what I have learned so far:

The fact that a band formed in the 90s can defy classification and essentially create its own genre. They restored my faith in music purely by being so innovative.

That music does not need to be calm and mellow to be beautiful.

That growling vocals and clean vocals not only can co-exist but they work together to create the appropriate atomsphere.

That layered guitars can create a much more intense atmosphere than keyboards.

Opeth are changing the way I perceive music. And my journey has only just begun...

I don't think most of us would be here if they hadn't. I think Opeth is to music as marijuana is to drugs (yes I know many of you don't think it's a gateway drug, but just humor me.:D ) in the sense that they are a gateway to new bands. If I hadn't gotten into Opeth I probably wouldn't be listening to half the bands I currently do. I don't think I would be the person I am today if it weren't for Opeth. To me, Opeth is more then just an ordinary band, so much more. I just hope the band knows how much they have changed mine and many others' perception of music and/or life. Opeth, I salute you ...

Opeth also got me into growls but I think what they do best is contrast. Not only from acoustic to electric, but from dissonant heavy chords to beautiful, layered polyphonic chords that just sound fucking huge. They are the most atmospheric, layered band I've ever heard that are able to juxtapose intimacy with pure evil and desolation like no one else...

Not only did it affect lots to my view about music, it opened a whole new way of writing music and riffs and inspired me to write my own stuff and gather the people who could do write with me. As a long-term result Farmakon is on Elitist Records and my life is hugely changed.

They made me realize that there are much better bands around than Dream Theater. I'm pretty much over my DT obsession now but I still listen to it every now and again.

My new favourite bands are: Opeth, Death, and Pain of Salvation.

I WAS SUICIDAL AND NOW I AM FINE!!! ALL MY TROUBLES HAVE GONE AWAY THANKS TO OPETH!!!! I LOVE YOU OPETH!!!

HAHAHA, fuck this is fairly lame.

All Opeth have done for me is allow me to listen to their music. That is it. Nothing else.

If I was a fanboy like most of you people, then I might say "They saved my life" and all that shit...

By the way, I am in a smartass mood, so disregard this post, unless you want to flame me...

Alot of people say our band VEHEMENCE was influnced by Opeth, but we are influnced by what Opeth was influnced by, ENTOMBED, OLD CATHEDRAL, EARLY PYOGENESIS..GOREFEST!!!

BLOODBATH IS A FINE EXAMPLE OF THOSE ALL COPIED TO THE TEETH.

Originally posted by Soilworker
I WAS SUICIDAL AND NOW I AM FINE!!! ALL MY TROUBLES HAVE GONE AWAY THANKS TO OPETH!!!! I LOVE YOU OPETH!!!

HAHAHA, fuck this is fairly lame.

All Opeth have done for me is allow me to listen to their music. That is it. Nothing else.

If I was a fanboy like most of you people, then I might say "They saved my life" and all that shit...

By the way, I am in a smartass mood, so disregard this post, unless you want to flame me...

:lol:

Seriously though, they did introduce me to a wider range of metal. They made me appreciate the epic, mellower side of metal as well as the aggressive side. They seem to slide from one genre on to the next with ease. Fantastic.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
It introduced me to a whole new outlook on how music can (should) sound. I can hardly stand my old favourites (Slayer... Sepultura) now that I've found a band that I percieve to be so much more. I basically realize now that metal sounds better when varied... although the introduction of myself to the whole Scandinavian technical scene would have to be credited to Meshuggah and In Flames.

my sentiments exactly. After listening to orchid years ago...I basically had a lot of trouble appreciating any of the stuff I'd been listening too (slayer, sepultura, pantera...) all of these albums have basically been collecting dust since I found Opeth...

They gave me the motivation to continue pursuing music as my career... i had all but given up because i was unispired, and then came Opeth. Fucking greatest band i have ever stumbled upon.